[Tutorial]Lightning effect

OK so in This video I show you how to make a lightning effect

-First you should create a light,logic timer,ambient generic entities.

-Give them all names(logic timer doesn’t need one)

-Light should have brightness over 900
-Light should be set to initialy dark in the Flags section

-Sound shouldn’t loop,should everywhere and shouldn’t start silent

-In the logic timer outputs you should put the following

On timer
Light
Turn on

On timer
Light
Turn off
W/ delay of 1 sec

On timer
Sound
Play sound

MOTHER OF GOD, YOUR TASKBAR

[editline]23rd May 2012[/editline]

IT DOESN’T EVEN AUTOHIDE CHRIST

hahahh,I like it that way,when i have to launch a program i don’t have to minimize the other one

It’s like a second desktop :v:

Yeah,who needs Sli or Crossfire :slight_smile:

SLi and Crosfire are the method of linking multiple cards to get a boost in graphics power. Nothing to do with desktops. I suspect you meant eyefinty, which is the ATi system for having up to 6 monitors.

I was joking,and Sli/Crossfire can also be used to have multiple monitors.

And so can single card. I’m typing to you from my 15" monitor.

Eyefinity allows one large desktop on 6 screens with a single card. Some games support it as well, whereas only a few officially support multi monitors.

Thanks, helpful. I don’t suppose there’s any way to light up the skybox, since it’s a shader of some sort?

Also have a delay of aprox. 1 second between the effect and sound.

I know i have AMD,but it’s smarter to use another card for another monitor for better performance.

Back on topic now!

Idk,but if you for example used the moving clouds model from CSS then putting a light under that in the 3D skybox could actually sortof do it

Yeah you are right since we usually do first see the light and then we hear it,but if it’s a close one you could go with this.

Depends on the sound you use.

Better performance?

I hvae zero performance issues with running two monitors. Maybe that’s an ATi thing, my nvidia card it only a 460 and handles anything i throw at it.

Throw some acid at it then

XD

:suicide:

Where have I seen this before…

TopHatWaffle also made a lighting tutorial.

I think the better way of doing this is like in L4D, where there is a color correction volume and it turns on a special lighting strike color correction. That way it lights up everything, including the skybox.

I made this exact same system months ago.

Made somthing very similar like 4 years ago. Instead of light entity i used env_fade