UDK vs Hammer?

Ever since UDK has been released, I’ve been highly fascinated with using it for my own purposes. But doing BSP geometry is a bitch and it definitely needs a modeling program which requires pain-in-the-ass UV mapping. On the other hand, it blows Hammer sky high with everything including Kismet, being more easy and streamlined(don’t need to fucking make a txt file for every god damn model, shader, texture), easy to create shaders(using kismet), MUCH higher option of models(ase, fbx, etc.), no compiling(able to just play on the go with no compiling each time), scalable models, no required games(Half life 2), Physx, and a bunch of other shit that keeps me on the edge of the fence even though i’m very uncomfortable with models replacing brushes. Should I stay with Hammer or learn UDK?

Both.

The UDK basically requires a team of people to get anything done that looks good and won’t take 5 years.

If you do, however, make something really good with the UDK, you CAN sell it and keep the first $5000, after which you pay a certain amount of royalties to Epic (25% or something, better than paying $750,000 for a copy of the unreal engine)

In terms of actually making stuff, Hammer allows you to block out a map very quickly and retain a decent level of quality while doing so. I/O is far easier in Hammer, but can get WAY more complicated in the UDK. Particles are pretty much the same, but I do personally perfer the UDK for them. Lighting is much better. Not dynamic, but it just tends to look better for some reason. UDK actually has DoF and a few other post-processing effects. Both have color correction.

A major improvement in the UDK is the material editor. You don’t have to go back into photoshop and reimport if you want to make it brighter, just use an add or multiply block.

The 3d viewport in the UDK shows a LOT more than the hammer editor does. You don’t have to run the game to view lighting updates.

The grid limit in UDK is essentially non-existant (AFAIK), so you can have those extremely large 32+ person vehicle wars.

It’s really all down to preference, I prefer the UDK, but I use Hammer more often because it’s just easier. I’m planning on getting a group of people together and doing some sort of indie project on it, then take it from there.

I would love to join you, problem is I don’t know much about the UDK. :smith:

I’d love to join too if you ever feel like making a team.

Well, it will be mostly people I know IRL, we pretty much have whatever we need, but we may need to pull in some modelers/texture artists to speed up the actual creation. If we ever need any extra people, I’ll make sure to ask you guys if you would like to help us. But until then, we just have a concept and a very rough plot.

Sounds good, that’s what my friend and I have basically for our mod.

With some hard work, I bet modelling and UV wrapping would become second nature.

It only takes a week or so to get used to UV mapping. Everything after that is just practice to get better.

Lies. If you just jump into it without compiling the lighting you’re just going to be met by an entirely black world.
It’s not like Sandbox2, it’s not real-time.

Though I do agree more engines or more modelling software needs some easier method of texturing other than UV mapping every individual asset.
What I like about hammer is the ability to place and modify textures from a huge library onto a brush face instead of needing to take it into photoshop and try and work to a UV map which often takes a lot more time while you make the UV, apply, edit out problems, apply, edit out more problems etc. etc.

I downloaded the UDK and tried to figure out the basics. I got confused and uninstalled it. I was thinking about trying it again.

UDK = Game maker
Hammer = Map maker…

:colbert:

UDK = Game & map maker, it’s like the unreal tournament 3 editor but more options.

I hate the using UDK due to the fact the mapping seems to be too complicated.

Might want to refer to SDK, not Hammer, so you get the faceposer and everything. Then it is a game maker, or at least a mod maker.

It doesn’t have to be hard if you figure out a good workflow. Most model editors have basic uv editing features equivalent to hammer’s awful texture tool, if that’s what you’re looking for. Unreal actually has some good features for multiple uv maps on one model and swapping out textures as well.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention, UDK can do per-vertex convex collisions, no need for a secondary collision model if you don’t want to make it.

So would UDK be overkill for a single person?

No. Maybe if you wanted to make a game, it would take a long time.

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/8311/udkmap.jpg

Somebody do this in source.

not necessarily, there’s just more work involved in making a map. You can’t go only on brushwork, because it will look like crap. You absolutely need to know how to model and texture, preferably how to optimize models and how to texture realistically.