ULX For Idiots

Gonna start this off by saying I’m in no way an expert for ULX. I wanted to make this post because I constantly see questions in Developer Discussion about it. It’s basically to help people and to prevent useless threads on Dev Discussion. This thread is no doubt lacking in some content, so please contribute if you think it’s necessary.

Table of Contents

Since this guide may get a little bit expansive, I guess a table on contents would be a good thing to have.

I. Q&A
II. Installation
III. Setting Up ULX
IV. Using the built-in XGUI
V. The settings tab
VI. Info/Documentation

Q&A

What is ULX, anyway?

From the Ulyssesmod Website:

Where can I get ULX?

Ulyssesmod
GitHub (ULib)
GitHub (ULX)
I’ll add the workshop versions in the future.

More stuff should be added here in the future.

Installation

GitHub

Step 1: When on the GitHub Pages (ULib - ULX) click the buttons highlighted in the picture below.

Step 2: Open the .zip files given, and move the folders titled “ulib” and “ulx” in to your server/client’s garrysmod/addons folder.

Step 3: Restart your server to complete the installation.

Ulyssesmod.net

Step 1: When on the Ulyssesmod website (Here), click on the buttons/links boxed in red below.

Step 2: With the .zip files you downloaded, open them up and drag the folders inside in to your server/client’s addons directory.

Step 3: Restart your server.

Setting up ULX

ULX is fairly easy to set up, but it all depends on how you want to do it. Before you can do anything on ULX, you’re going to have to set your rank to superadmin. Superadmin is the highest default rank that comes with ULX. To see other ranks and their power, you can take a look at the ULX Rank Hierarchy later in the post.

To give yourself superadmin, you’re going to join your server, or start a new game for singleplayer. When you’re in the server, you want to go in to your SERVER console, not your clientside console. When you’re there, type the following in to your console:

ulx adduser <your name> superadmin

Or, you can do the same using your SteamID.

ulx adduserid <your steamid> superadmin

After that, you’ll have access to all of the commands in ULX.

Using the built-in XGUI

ULX comes with a standard menu that can be opened with the 4 following commands:

Chat:

!menu
!xgui

Console:

xgui
ulx menu

Either one will work, neither one opens faster.

Here’s a screenshot of the ULX Menu, provided you’re a superadmin, with some labels:

1) The commands tab. Player commands are ran here, including kick, ban, mute, and gag.
2) The groups tab. This is where you will manage groups and teams.
3) The maps tab. Here you can change the map and gamemode on the server.
4) The settings tab. Here you will change server settings like max ents/props, gags, adverts, the MOTD, etc.
5) The bans tab. Here, you can add, remove, and edit bans.
6) The commands drawer. Here you can choose commands to run on players.
7) The command parameters. This is where you will choose the settings for the command you chose.

The settings tab

Believe it or not, there are settings in the settings tab, and quite a bit of 'em. I’ll just jump right in to the categories, and then sub-categories.

Sandbox

In this tab, you can do the following: Change cvars, server setting, and change spawn limits. Note: These setting are NOT permanent!

Server

You use this tab to change various server settings/cvars, as well as setting up ULX Modules, which include things like voting, adverts, MOTD, logs, etc. I’m not going to go over all of these, this guide is seriously long enough.

Client

This tab is used to change clientside settings, like the XGUI menu’s many settings, and whether or not to be able to pick up people with your physgun. (Admin only, duh)

Info/Documentation

There’s absolutely tons of information and documentation for ULib and ULX. I’ll list good sources for them just below, with hyperlinks. These websites will include information on use, modification, and creating modules for ULX.

About Ulyssesmod - Ulyssesmod.net
Downloads - Ulyssesmod.net
Docs - Ulyssesmod.net
Developers Corner - Ulyssesmod.net Forums
General Chat & Help and Support - Ulyssesmod.net Forums
ULib - Steam Workshop
ULX - Steam Workshop
The latest ULX Thread (Still old) - Facepunch

So yeah, this is a long thread I’ve been working on for a while. It’s nowhere near perfect at all, so please let me know if I did anything wrong, missed anything, or should add something new.

You should include that the ulx menu can be opened using the two following console comands:

xgui
“ulx menu”

It’s probably only me but I get really pissed when someone does a !menu bind.

Gotcha, will do!

Great work, VeXan. We will probably point users who are struggling to install ULX towards this thread. :slight_smile:

Glad to hear! If you have any suggestions that you think I should know about, feel free to just reply to the thread.