unknown hammer error, searched found no solution.

I’ve been mapping with Hammer for a few years now. My map has a lot of falling balls… When I added a few decals and some boxes the map becomes UN-compilable .

** Executing…
** Command: “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ewokmyweewok\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\vbsp.exe”
** Parameters: -game “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ewokmyweewok\counter-strike source\cstrike” “C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\ewokmyweewok\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\goodmap”

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Dec 11 2006)
2 threads
materialPath: c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ewokmyweewok\counter-strike source\cstrike\materials
Loading C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\ewokmyweewok\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\goodmap.vmf
Can’t find surfaceprop panel for material METAL/PRODVENTA, using default
Brush 16398: MAX_MAP_PLANES
Side 63
Texture: MODELS/PROPS/CS_ASSAULT/FIREESCAPEBARS

** Executing…
** Command: “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ewokmyweewok\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\vvis.exe”
** Parameters: -game “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ewokmyweewok\counter-strike source\cstrike” “C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\ewokmyweewok\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\goodmap”

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Nov 8 2007)
2 threads
reading c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ewokmyweewok\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\goodmap.bsp
Error opening c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ewokmyweewok\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\goodmap.bsp

** Executing…
** Command: “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ewokmyweewok\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\vrad.exe”

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Nov 8 2007)
----- Radiosity Simulator ----
2 threads
[Reading texlights from ‘lights.rad’]
[1 texlights parsed from ‘lights.rad’]

Loading c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ewokmyweewok\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\goodmap.bsp
Error opening c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ewokmyweewok\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\goodmap.bsp

** Executing…
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: “C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\ewokmyweewok\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\goodmap.bsp” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ewokmyweewok\counter-strike source\cstrike\maps\goodmap.bsp”

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
“The system cannot find the file specified.”

I tried renaming the map, i tried copying and pasting the map into a new hammer window.

I also tried deleting sections of the map to see if i could figure out the problem, I end up deleting the WHOLE MAP and it still gives me the same error…

http://www.interlopers.net/errors/index.php?e=1-1 Says there’s no errors so the advice they give on “Windows reported the error: The system cannot find the file specified.” don’t help me…

Hopefully an old school pro could help me out here! I am willing to send you the map to see if you can compile it!

[editline]08:18AM[/editline]

Been working on this map for weeks, even bought a public css server, any tips would help.

Brush 16398: MAX_MAP_PLANES

You got too many brushes in your map.

Not necessarily too many brushes, it’s usually caused by having brushwork that’s too complex or having textures on large surfaces that are scaled too small (between 0.25, -0.25). I’d go with the latter of the two as most new mappers don’t know how to optimize.

Too complex brushwork like this?

Because that compiled just fine… even as a world brush

And I made a box as big as the grid, made the texture 0.01 and it also compiled like there was no problem at all (With vis & rad off, but that shouldn’t matter)

Its vvis trying to make portals out of that… dear god… no wonder your compile is crashing.
Try making a large brush textured with tools/toolsskip covering that entire thing

Laptop your avatar is so fitting if that is a facepalm.

It is. It’s really fitting in the releases section because mainly i only post on the new mapper’s maps with what they did wrong
I just realized why you have too many planes.
Not too many planes in hammer, but too many planes once vvis runs and cuts up the edges by what world brushes there are.
it may work without the skip brush if you make the box textured with “tools/toolsskybox”

vvis can easily compile it. But it was just a test. It’s not even me with a problem.
and covering the brush with a bos of Skip texture wouldn’t do anything at all?
That is unless you mean the Hint texture?

Skip would cause it to compile the entire void.

:ughh:
Putting a skip over the complex brush would cause vvis to not use that to cut up the outer box into a bunch of planes

@Zyx
Yes. Vvis can compile it.
but compiles it in such a way that when vrad goes, it gets too many planes

Oh wait… nvm i have bad reading

if your cylinders are over 16 power it does that.