Unreal Engine 5 Early Access Available Now. Your Thoughts?

Epic games just released their early access for Unreal Engine 5. I wanted to know what are your thoughts on it, and if it is better than source 2? s

Highlights:
-Nanite
-Lumen
-Chaos
-Niagara VFX
-Meta Humans
-Forward compatibility (can port ue4 projects to ue5)
-New UI (Better Efficient Workflows)
-New sound system (MetaSounds)
-New Collaboration system (no more merge conflicts)
-Quixel Bridge built into unreal engine 5 (high fidelity assets available for free drag and drop!)
-Updates to animation tools
-Better model rigging
-Better Performance
-New anti-aliasing system (temporal super resolution)
-Sky atmosphere system
-Better Level streaming
-Game feature plugins
-More features to be developed / revealed when full release of UE5 in 2022

3 Likes

Hi,

I think unreal engine 5 will not replace source 2 as a lot of people have been looking forward to source 2 and i don’t think they are going to leave this game engine for unreal engine 5.

Kind regards,
WaterDev

2 Likes

Looks stunning.

Source 2 is just as good and has a strong base of modders/mappers (UE has a huge base of both big game devs and indies), but I think it needs to be released to be actually popular. In the end though, both engines are great, and I think both will succeed.

2 Likes

C++, not a fan xx

4 Likes

c++ is powerful though

1 Like

Need to try it out and see if they have decent geo tools like source 2 hammer’s. The GI and light system look fun to mess around with, but unsure of their usefulness outside of hyperrealism.

2 Likes

from personal experience UE4 was the opposite of ‘it just works’, which makes developing in it a nightmare. I don’t think UE5 made a legitimate attempt at tackling this weakness. I dont think better lighting helps alleviate that issue, (even though the new 3D pipeline it claims to offer is appealing af)

3 Likes

tbh after playing with it, I take most of this back, it’s simply worth the hassles

3 Likes

Time to reinstall the epic games launcher… Are the geo tools nice to use? I’ve not seen any videos about them yet.

2 Likes

Hmm I haven’t heard any changes to geo tools, it probably got updated but still using same geo tools from unreal engine 4. Was wondering if anyone can confirm??

1 Like