Using Blender & Crowbar to export models to source, having a load of trouble with it.

This process is stupid complicated, and writing a .qc file is a pain in the ass (especially to get it to just work at all)

I can get Blender to export a smd, but then when I load the .qc into Crowbar, it gives me this-

Compiling with Crowbar 0.29.0.0: "C:\Users\JiggerJohnson\Documents\compiling jeez\signal.qc" ...

Compiling ".\signal.qc" ...
    qdir:    "c:\users\jiggerjohnson\documents\compiling jeez\"
    gamedir: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Half-Life 2\ep2\"
    g_path:  "signal.qc"
    Building binary model files...
    Working on "signal.qc"
    SMD MODEL signal.smd

WARNING: Model has 2-dimensional geometry (less than 0.500 inches thick on any axis)!!!
    (that repeated 50000000 times)
    WARNING: COSTLY COLLISION MODEL!!!! (108 parts - 40 allowed)                  <-- (How do I fix that?)
    WARNING: Error with convex elements of signal.smd, building single convex!!!!  <--(what)
    Model has 11 convex sub-parts
    Collision model completed.       <---(um)
    ---------------------
    writing C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Half-Life 2\ep2\models/FRAGG\signal.mdl:
    bones          964 bytes (1)
       animation       x       y       ips    angle
           @idle    0.00    0.00 :    1.#J (  90.00) 0.0
    animations     112 bytes (1 anims) (1 frames) [0:00]
    sequences      220 bytes (1 seq) 
    ik/pose        164 bytes
    eyeballs         0 bytes (0 eyeballs)
    flexes           0 bytes (0 flexes)
    textures        72 bytes
    keyvalues        0 bytes
    bone transforms        0 bytes
    bone flex driver       0 bytes
    Collision model volume 245.20 in^3
    collision        0 bytes
    total         1760
    ---------------------
    writing C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Half-Life 2\ep2\models/FRAGG\signal.vvd:
    vertices    758688 bytes (15806 vertices)
    tangents    252896 bytes (15806 vertices)
    total      1011648 bytes
    ---------------------
    Generating optimized mesh "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Half-Life 2\ep2\models/FRAGG\signal.sw.vtx":

Now, despite the fact that it says
WARNING: Model has 2-dimensional geometry (less than 0.500 inches thick on any axis)!!!
(five million times)

…That’s a load of BS, because no, none of any part of it is 2D, or that thin.
[img_thumb]http://i.imgur.com/KZO4bD1.png[/img_thumb]

I can’t figure this out, I’ve been at it for weeks now. Can anybody here give me some insight?

Thanks guys! If this is a repeat thread, my bad. I searched for one though, and came up with nothing.

[editline]1st September 2015[/editline]

Um, okay, don’t know what I did, but…some files showed up where I had tried to compile them despite the previous errors, and…I ended up with this.

[img_thumb]http://i.imgur.com/tcEaA36.png[/img_thumb]

So I guess…it worked? I just need to figure out how to texture it now, but there’s no way this was the correct way of going about this, it shouldn’t be littered with (false?) errors. I want to be able to do this correctly.

Edit again:

God forbid.

Okay, so lemme tackle this bit by bit.

As far as the 2 dimensional thing goes, you will probably need to select all of the geometry of your mesh and hit “Remove duplicate vertices” or whatever it is. Chance are, you have a duplicate mesh in there somewhere. There’s a tool somewhere that will automatically generate a QC for you, though I don’t remember what/where it is. Someone else may be able to help with that.

The first thing you’ll need to do as far as making a texture is to make a UV map. I can tell by looking at your model in the HLMV that if you do have UVs, you’d be better off getting rid of them. You can find a good UV map tutorial for blender on Youtube. If you need any additional help, be sure to either post here or send me a PM.

For the costly collision model, you’ll need to go above the allowed 40 separate parts.
To do this, you’ll need to tweak your .qc slightly to include these parameters.

$collisionmodel	"your_collision_model.smd"
{
	$concave
	$maxconvexpieces 500
}

Woah, that’s awesome. Didn’t know that was a thing. Thanks! There’s one issue solved. Still though, what’s up with all the 2D geometry errors?