Greetings, one and all, to the first ever Facepunch Studios Vault Door Competition! I’ve noticed an interest in Vault doors lately, and decided it would be appropriate to have a contest.
Anyone who’s played Fallout 3 should agree that Vault doors are really fucking cool. Tons upon tons of solid steel designed to hold back nuclear apocalypse, these massive gear-shaped doors were for some beacons of hope, and for others, harbingers of doom. Thousands of people entered the Vaults through these very doors, oblivious as to what was really behind them…
*Were these great gates designed to keep things out?
… Or keep them in?*
Now it’s your turn to take the place of a Vault-Tec Vault Engineer. Design a door that looks awesome, functions smoothly, and possibly even completes its original purpose of ensuring the survival of those inside of it in the event of a nuclear war.
1) You may use Vault doors that you have built in the past.
2) Your Vault door does not have to function or look exactly like the ones from the Fallout series.
3) Your Vault door must be detailed, well-designed, and functional - it must combine several motions while operating.
4) Your Vault door must be comprised of a door, a threshold, and an operator. This means the door has to be an inanimate slab of steel moved by another piece of machinery.
5) Your Vault door cannot be frozen. Weld latches are permitted, provided they are represented by something (hydraulic seals, etc.). Representations must be visible.
6) Your Vault door must be able to withstand the force of a nuclear explosion. We will probably use Teta’s nukes or Gbombs.
7) Your Vault door must be automated… no numpad interaction.
8) Only PHX and default props are allowed.
9) While a video would be preferred, pictures that show functionality are acceptable as long as you provide a save with instructions.
10) If you would like to replicate Fallout’s Vault doors, it must function the same way and be similarly sized.
Vault doors will be judged in three individual categories: Functionality/complexity, appearance/detail, and realism. These three will be reviewed, scored out of 10, and then averaged together to get the final score.
teh pirate (Steam Friends: Rothladoad)
[ul]Remember, more detail equals more points! Putting an entrance chamber behind your Vault door may boost your score.[/ul]
[ul]Effects are always nice! One of my favorite parts of the Vault doors were how they sparked as they moved and the sounds they made.[/ul]
[ul]It’s never not fun to see something break. Show how powerful your Vault door is by crushing something with it![/ul]
[ul]Prove how tough your Vault door is by detonating a nuke near it! If it doesn’t break, post the video! We don’t subtract points if you don’t nuke it, though, so don’t get down if your Vault door doesn’t work. After all, this is GMod. Remember to save it first, though![/ul]
I will be choosing 2 judges. If you want to be a judge, PM me. Also, if you have questions, do not shit up the thread with them; PM me. The contest will end sometime around July 1st to give people time to experiment with concepts and tweak their machinery.