VBSP wtf Crash on Compile

Hello, I made a map and it worked fine…untill i decided to make a super-awesome-room with a built in skybox, a bar with the water material suspended in midair, and lots of other trippy stuff. When i tried to compile it, i got an error saying it couldn’t find the .bsp file! Using logic i searched the steam folder for the map name, deleted all the bsp files to make sure that the compiler wasn’t having issues with overwriting an existing one, and compiled again. This time, no difference. I tried checking the .vmf directory. I at first got an error saying that one of my displacements was a func_detail. I fixed that. Then after i fixed that, my vbsp crashed on compile. This was the first time this happened…so I googled a bit, found some things that didn’t help me at all, and decided to give up and ask you guys. I’ve read through every line of the compile log and couldn’t find anything wrong with it. The map is perfectly sealed with a nodraw box, i also tried a box with the tools/toolskybox material. It can’t be a leak. It just can’t be. The map is about a quarter of the maximum size allowed, so size isn’t the issue either. Ok, here’s the log:

** Executing…
** Command: “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\shoffing\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vbsp.exe”
** Parameters: -game “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\shoffing\half-life 2 episode two\ep2” “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\shoffing\sourcesdk_content\ep2\mapsrc\mh_testing”

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (May 19 2009)
2 threads
materialPath: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\shoffing\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\materials
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\shoffing\sourcesdk_content\ep2\mapsrc\mh_testing.vmf
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides…
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (0)
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (0)
Processing areas…done (0)
Building Faces…done (0)
Chop Details…done (0)
Find Visible Detail Sides…
Merged 344 detail faces…done (0)
Merging details…done (0)
FixTjuncs…
PruneNodes…
WriteBSP…
done (0)
writing C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\shoffing\sourcesdk_content\ep2\mapsrc\mh_testing.prt…Building visibility clusters…
done (0)
Creating default LDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
skybox/sky_day01_04*.vmt
! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Creating default HDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
skybox/sky_day01_04*.vmt
! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Finding displacement neighbors…
Finding lightmap sample positions…
Displacement Alpha : 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10
Building Physics collision data…

** Executing…
** Command: “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\shoffing\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vvis.exe”
** Parameters: -game “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\shoffing\half-life 2 episode two\ep2” “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\shoffing\sourcesdk_content\ep2\mapsrc\mh_testing”

Valve Software - vvis.exe (May 19 2009)
2 threads
reading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\shoffing\sourcesdk_content\ep2\mapsrc\mh_testing.bsp
Error opening c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\shoffing\sourcesdk_content\ep2\mapsrc\mh_testing.bsp

** Executing…
** Command: “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\shoffing\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vrad.exe”

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (May 19 2009)

Valve Radiosity Simulator     

2 threads
[Reading texlights from ‘lights.rad’]
[48 texlights parsed from ‘lights.rad’]

Loading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\shoffing\sourcesdk_content\ep2\mapsrc\mh_testing.bsp
Error opening c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\shoffing\sourcesdk_content\ep2\mapsrc\mh_testing.bsp

** Executing…
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\shoffing\sourcesdk_content\ep2\mapsrc\mh_testing.bsp” “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\shoffing\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\maps\mh_testing.bsp”

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
“The system cannot find the file specified.”

It looks like VBSP isn’t crashing, but VVIS and VRAD are.

Are you able to load a pointfile?

incorrect, VBSP seems to be crashing, and not generating a BSP file. Thus VVIS and VRAD cannot open the non-existent bsp file to compute visibility and lighting on it.

I’m going to try loading a point file…but please any more ideas would be helpful. What would cause it to crash besides leaks?

[editline]05:41PM[/editline]

you know what, i think by messing with some settings and folder paths i accidently fucked up my source sdk for episode 2, im gonna re-make the materials in counterstrike editor and try that

[editline]05:41PM[/editline]

I really think its just not liking the file paths

[editline]06:22PM[/editline]

can someone please help me?

It’s not materials or anything like that. It’s crashing while building the collision for the level. Maybe VBSP.exe is corrupted? have you tried Verify Game Cache from the Source SDK right click menu in steam? Or reset game configurations?

Oh shit I had this problem before. Happened when I was using some bigass collision-less custom planet models of my own. Never found a fix, finally gave up.

(Compiled fine if the models weren’t turned on)

maybe then his issue is that he has the collision of a prop set to VPhysics when it should be no collision?

Nah that just puts an error in the console.

thanks for trying guys anyway :smiley:

[editline]03:52PM[/editline]

Breakthrough! I figured out what was causing the crash. I loaded up the map, and ran it through the compiler. It worked, but said that one of my displacements was a func_detail. I found the displacement, and tied it to entity, then back to world. I tried to compile again, and…CRASH!!! Apparently, vbsp likes that displacement being a func_detail. Im going to try compiling and running it with it as a func_detail. If anyone has any other ideas, you’re welcome to voice them.