Voice chat in source 2

How does voice chat work in Source 2 / Sandbox, is it a copy paste of the regular source?
Can you apply voice filters in real-time? afaik. thats not possible in gmod.

2 Likes

Yeah, especially having more control over this part. Example: control the volume of a player from the server or the voice range per player and not only for the whole server.

3 Likes

Holy crap this was so annoying, how come there is no way to create proximity voice in gmod without using third party applications like Teamspeak? So annoying that you can’t even adjust the volume via code.

3 Likes

Proximity voice will be so usefull for rp gamenodes

2 Likes

On a more generic note, flexible sound streams that support effect plugins would be awesome to have.

1 Like

But there is?
Plenty of addons have hooked into PlayerCanHearPlayersVoice to limit voice to the room you are in.
I’ve done it myself in the past.

That being said, having this as a built-in feature as has been suggested is a good idea.

1 Like

Im pretty sure he means by actually lowering the players volume when they’re further away, not limiting when the voice is on or off

2 Likes

The issue with PlayerCanHearPlayersVoice is the hook is called many times per tick. So if you start to make the code a little too complex, it will seriously impact overall performance. Even with workarounds to fix this thing, it’s still annoying. I really hope that S&Box will do much better than Gmod, and in any case, they can’t do worse than Gmod… :sleepy:

3 Likes

The idea of voice-filters in real time sounds like an interesting concept, if this could be actually implemented then the possibilities are pretty big, especially for immersion in games. I guess one can only hope for something like that though.

4 Likes

I hope so @svensis, so I can apply a Latvian filter to my voice as I scream “DO NOT TAKE THE VACCINE!”, with that being said, I could just record you saying it…

2 Likes

The filters could just be done clientside so there’s no processing on the server other than directing the client on how and when to do it.
Here’s a few ideas:

• The smaller a player is, the higher pitched his voice gets
  • Wearing a mask muffles your voice
  • Telephone that actually sounds like one
    And many more

Imagine the possibilities if you could give the source a position as well, you could make televisions, CTV screens, intercoms, loud speakers etc…

I’m sure it’s definitely possible if Valve had multiplayer in mind with Source 2 since it’s a must to have 3D voice in VR.

5 Likes

Yeah, I’d really like to see more control over 3D voice at least through convars but ideally through code. The hardcoded falloff isn’t enough sometimes.

There seems to be less of a compression effect on many(including GMod’s) voice chat codecs today, which means quiet people are really quiet and loud people are LOUDER than ever and I just, really just wish I could use a personal clientside volume slider on these people.

Applying radio and muffling and distorted effects dynamically would be nice too.

Imagine:

• Hearing a police officer’s partners over his radio with built-in static.
  • Making an ingame phone call and having to wait until you leave a tunnel to hear each other properly.
  • Robbing a bank or making a ransom call using a toggleable voice modulator.
  • Someone who’s trapped in a trunk being only barely audible until you get close.
  • Having to take off your ingame headphones to hear someone properly.
  • Not hearing someone cock their gun behind you because you were eating chips.
  • Not being able to say your order at the drive through until you rebind the key to lower your windshield.
4 Likes

This sure has happened to me a few times hahaha

2 Likes

I’ll be honest, my hopes are very high for voice chat (And just audio in general) for S&box. Mainly because I see what can be done with GTA, which isn’t much but pretty cool either way.

1 Like

This alone would make me buy the game, the possibilities are endless with just some voice chat options. I really hope something like this can be added

2 Likes

When more control is given over the players voice, say hello to clientside voicechanger addons! Lol
Although it would be pretty cool to be able to ‘inject’ someones microphone to alter their voice as they speak ingame.
A very easy example is when someone becomes a ‘Robot’ job in darkRP and his voice will be altered to sound like a robot. A fun concept but maybe it’s too much work for too little.

2 Likes

I would enjoy being able to globally voice filter squeakers to sound less like Alvin and more like Schwarzenegger.

4 Likes