VRAD Crash - Windows 7.

I’m currently running windows 7 on my computer and this is the first time i have tried to compile a map using this OS. VRAD constantly crashes every time i try to compile. The weird thing is every time i try to compile it crashes at different points in the compile.
I’m a reasonably experienced mapper and i have check my compile log over and over. There are no errors but Patch Sample Radius Clamped! which shouldn’t have a major effect on vrad compiling. I have also kept on increasing the light maps which seems to of made no difference to the compile.

Alright i just tryed compiling a map that had nothing but displacements, a wall around the edge, water and a 3d skybox with nothing in it and vrad still crashes.

Any help would be great. :slight_smile:

64-bit?

Yeh 64-bit.

I have 7 Professional 64-bit as well, the compile log was always buggy as hell, but it did that with mine too, I just let it run for a minute and it finished compiling, successfully.

L4D2 Hammer moves the compiling over to an actual CMD window, I have yet to seen it crash and it runs a lot smoother than the old compile method.

Is there away to use the l4d2 tools to compile a map for gmod?

you could just whip up a batch file that compiles the map, that should work fine too. Just click the Expert button, look at the commands they use, rewrite it to replace all the $ variables as actual locations (ex - change $path to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps…)

Yeh I’m already using a batch compiler. Still the same deal.

The L4D tools write and pack the VIS and RAD data differently, so it will corrupt the map and make it unplayable in either engine.

Yeh i thought that would be the case. I’m starting to think thats its my might. I increase the lightmaps and it makes no difference to the time it takes to compile. Is it possible for a building to crash vrad?

[editline]05:33PM[/editline]

Alright i just tryed compiling a map that had nothing but displacements, a wall around the edge, water and a 3d skybox with nothing in it and vrad still crashes.

Displacements don’t seal the map.

Lol i no that there is nodraw under the displacement layer.

Well, maybe you should have stated that.

lol i did i said there are no errors in the compile log which includes leaks.

Awesome, didn’t know that.

My best bet is to get some 3rd party compiling tools, anyone know a link? I’ve been looking for some. :frown:

It’s just the same as trying to mix and match compile tools from Ep1 and OB.

Well, I know that, I just didn’t know that they took the time to stop it from crashing and lagging.