"Waiting for character" - windows version, continues after reinstall (legacy)

I “fell off” a server earlier tonight with a stuck sound loop. I had been playing without issue for a few hours when this happened.

When I tried to rejoin I got stuck at “waiting for character”, with the “putting on clothes” sound looping.

I thought the server had crashed so I gave it a few minutes but the problem persisted. I then tried other servers… same problem.

I have since deleted all local content via steam and redownloaded the game twice. Both times with the same result - stuck on “waiting for character”.

System is Windows 7 64, more from dxdiag below. I highly doubt it’s a system issue though, since I was running the game just fine for several hours on and off prior to this. But I’m buggered if I can figure out what could persist after a complete reinstall.

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 9.18.0013.1422 (English)
Driver Version: 9.18.13.1422

It happen on my server ones after a crash.
You need to contact the server admin and have them delete your characters file.
What happen is that when you got dropped from the server your characters file got corrupted so they need to delete it and let it rebuild next time you log in.
You will loose everything that you had on you but your house and everything else will be fine.
Good luck.

Hm, this was happening on other servers too so I don’t think that was the cause in this particular case, but the problem seems to have automagically gone away. Very odd!