Wallworm Gets Tanked

For ya’ll wallworm users: http://dev.wallworm.com/document/128/wall_worm_gets_tanked.html (No… it’s not the end of Wall Worm… the title was bad… there is just a L4D tank in the post).

Oh boy, this is wonderful.

Uh that is quite cool. One quick thing I’ve got to wonder though - does your current SMd importer framework also include a VTA importer and morph set up or nothing on that front currently?

Glad you like the news.

Unfortunately, VTA is not yet supported. The bulk of the SMD importer was written by MarioKart64 in the forums here. You could ask him to consider adding support for bone animations in SMD and VTA as those are not currently supported. It’s not a priority of mine at this point… but may eventually look into that down the road if MarioKart64 doesn’t get to it.

Hot damn, exporting bipeds sounds extremely useful. WW has come a long way since I first used it.

And on another note, honestly I am still not sure how you are able to export maps from 3DS using WW. Just the idea of it blows my mind.

Thanks. I still need to add a minor update to the tools to properly export Biped/CAT if you need a ragdoll bone… but will get that soon.

This is a giant aspect of WW for me personally. I know that there is a long-time, deeply held set of (erroneous) beliefs regarding using Max for Source level design. The reality is that using Max is really no different than using Hammer as far as the engine and compiling is concerned–the difference is simply the design process and available tools. The Max>Source process is different than Hammer>Source, but the Max environment simply gives you more tools to design.

For example, I can actually make Materials and Textures in Max for my scene… but I cannot do that in Hammer. I can also parametrically control geometry in Max, which you cannot do in Hammer (meaning that, if I know how to use Max, I can have a spinner somewhere called “Wall Height” set to 128 that controls the height of an arbitrary set of walls… and if I change that spinner, all walls immediately accommodate). The list goes on and on.

The way you do a level in Max with WW is this:

Build your scene. Make sure that anything that is going to be a brush remains convex and does not have coplanar faces (So when using things like a Box as a brush, make sure length segments, height segments and width segments are always set to 1.) Assign WWMT helpers to anything that needs to be a model; use the Proxy tools for those models that need re-used in the scene. For all brush geometry use the Tags tool in WW Anvil to tag them as brush geometry–this will tell the exporter to export them as brushes. Then simply run the VMF Exporter. It’s really that simple. I never even use Hammer except to test exported things in occasionally.

I may start up a whole new series of videos on the level design in Max/WW as the one I started is now out-dated and does not reflect how WW works anymore.

Oh jeez, I was scared when I read the title because I thought you were going to stop making updates and move on to other stuff. Glad to see I was wrong.

Yeah sorry about that. Tanked refers to the L4D model Gulliver Thoday made that is in the post. That’s what happens if you write a headline while sipping on adult beverages… your neurons may not think things through.