Want to host my own server - Hardware

Hi,

I want to host my own server and need some help with compiling the hardware. I plan to use :

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad q9550 OC@ 3,6GHz
Mobo: Gigabyte EP45-UD3
RAM: 8 GB
Graphics: Palit GTX285

Do you think this machine could run a lag-free garrysmod server?

Dude. You have basically a computer that even some server companies don’t offer. Though you really should take the 285, hosting servers don’t need good graphics.

What are your upload/download speeds?

upload 10mbit/s
download 50mbit/s
unlim. bandwidth (flatrate)

Not very much but I think it should do 8-10 slots.

I have the GTX 285 built in my rig atm but I’ll get a GTX480 soon so I can put the GTX285 in my server-project.

Why the fuck would you put a GTX 480 in a server?

I think he meant that he’s going to put the 285 in the server and put the 480 in his current rig.

Yep I thougt this would be obvious.

Oh derp I was reading that you were going to upgrade the 285 in the server to a 480. Why are you putting a graphics card like that in there in the first place?

He thinks servers do rendering.

No I don’t think that. I just don’t see the point of throwing a graphics card away just because the server won’t need it’s power.

You could always package it up and pop it on a shelf somewhere. That’s what I do with my unused hardware - I actually have a broken graphics card sitting there. Planning to figure out what’s wrong with it.

I’ve done that with the other parts of my planned server. But that’s not the point of this thread - I just want to know if it’s possible to run a small Garrysmod server with this hardware configuration.

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Yes.

[editline]02:02AM[/editline]

The only restricting factor is your bandwidth, which isn’t a severe problem. 10mbit is half decent.

Okay thank you :slight_smile:

What do you think how much slots I can add ?

You could probably squeeze around 70 slots onto a 10mbit comfortably - depending on the optimisation of the gamemode you’re using. So between 40 and 100 realistically.

As I said, your hardware is good enough to not restrict it.

Okay thank you very much! I will post again if my server is set up :slight_smile:

A 10mbit upload is what’s recommend as the minimum for a 100 tick and 32-slot CSS server

For garry’s mod, it’s mostly CPU and there you should handle it quite good too. +50 players I’d say.

Depends really. Hosting something like ZS (Which generally has awful networking) will be a lot more demanding than hosting something like Sandbox (Where CPU usage is much higher)

I’ve planned to host Sandbox or RP.