Want to paint your Source environment? Here's how...

[EDIT] The title of the thread can be easily misinterpeted. By painting, I’m talking about painting objects onto a scene instead of texturing the environment.

This is genius.

This man has won my love.

this is awesome. will this be available for other modeling tools? or just 3dsmax?

This is awesome. To bad I have no idea how to use 3ds Max

If you do not know how to use Max… there are many tutorials online. I’m also trying to share videos and tutorials on its use as much as I have time for… especially in relation to using Wall Worm.

Yes, this is only available for 3ds Max. If you don’t own Max, Autodesk now offers a free 3-year educational version which you can get here. If you are not a student at a school simply choose student and choose home school. Just remember you can’t use that student license for any commercial work.

##################

Incidentally, I updated WW today with some new features.

Click here for the changelog.

Please, Take one of my first born child… Teach it to be as awesome as you fair sir.

This may be awesome for outdoor maps, but what about if I have lots of trees and I want to make those trees into 1 model just for optimalization?

This might sound ridiculous, but it seems like a lot of time an effort for an effect that doesn’t look so great.

Will this work with 2013 Max?

Where is the environment painting part? All i see is model placement which you can do in hammer with ease.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, you can turn any number of objects into single models.

I would disagree. It depends on what you’re trying to accomplish. Certainly, the amount of time and effort in this video is a lot less than doing this manually from props that didn’t exist before the scene was made. You can’t model/texture/paint props like this in hammer.

The video is mainly an example of a set of techniques and tools. I am sure that many people will find it useful and effective at making various interesting and appealing scenes.

Yes. There is one feature in the Wall Worm toolset that is not working 100% in Max 2013… but I’m assuming that will be patched with the first service pack.

Yes, I probably should have titled the thread differently. The video is using Object Paint to “paint” the objects into the environment.

But I can’t fathom this being done easily inside of Hammer. Of course you can populate textured with prop_details with VBSP… but it is not as easy to really control the exact composition of your props. You are also limited to prop_detail with that method… whereas this method allows you to mix and match prop_detail, prop_static and other props. For example, if you want a collection of animated plants (that blow in the wind) you can quickly scatter them across your scene.

This will also work with painting on world geometry. Since world geometry doesn’t spawn any prop_detail entities… the Hammer solution is more limited.

In any event, this is just a demonstration on using one technique. The real intent of this video was to share some food for thought for Wall Worm users about the Proxy tools. They have more functions in the context of Wall Worm and 3ds Max.

If your only interest is in Hammer, then this is probably going to be of no use to you. My personal intent is to build levels entirely in Max… which is what I can now accomplish.

I’m interested to see how this could be used in a more urban setting. A WWII level using this to paint ruined bricks/wood and trash on the streets.

You paint with models.

http://www.facepunch.com/avatar/25633.png

Placing each one of those stones with a random rotation would take forever to do without something like this.