Water

I’m wrapping up the visuals for water this week, starting with the ocean.

Water in S&box is going to be divided into two entities, env_sea and volume_water (The second one being functionally identical to how you’d set up water in Source 1), both fully expandable in C# and VFX source to anyone who wants to play further with it or make it more to their style, although I think the parameters already exposed should be enough for most people.

Both entities have identical functionality with the difference being one is tailored for situations you’d expect infinite volume

This is how you can expect the cheap-to-render variant of the water to look like:

47 Likes

Just from this I know I’ll enjoy Sam’s showcases more than the others, this almost looks unreal, as if it’s not something you’d see in a sandbox game.

3 Likes

How customizable is it? Can we make lava or acid pools with this?
Love your work btw big fan

1 Like

Looks sick. Great work @Sam :+1:

1 Like

Should be completely possible to be expanded by players in both in visuals and functionality, one cool thing I immediately noticed during experimentation is how nicely it is shaded with the 3D lightmap if you’re trying to make a diffuse liquid

10 Likes

The shader God has done it again. :flushed:

2 Likes

Beautiful! Great work!
I wonder how prop buoyancy is going to work.

1 Like

Wind, drag and buoyancy similars to the ones recently shown by Project Borealis as optional modules for a sandbox game would be a dream come true. It’s a model more complete than what is seen in other sandboxes, but still manageable if your server revolves around physics sandbox.

4 Likes

This would be incredibly annoying, we can just recreate it ourselves.

1 Like

I don’t understand how this could be annoying.

also, unless FP exposes a lot of physics related stuff from the engine to the C# layer, I would think it would be either very difficult or resource demanding to recreate this ourselves

1 Like

I’m all for Facepunch giving as much freedom as possible, but I’m just talking about the gameplay.
I wouldn’t want to throw something only for it to fuck off somewhere else due to wind drag and magnus.
Also they said they are using fluid dynamics, I’m not sure valve ever used any sort of simulation in their games.

4 Likes

Looking absolutely sick, your work is refreshing to the eye! Do you have any plans to support buoyant props so that their physical state is affected by the waves?

1 Like

Wasn’t expecting the ‘cheap’ water to Look that good. Very nice work.

3 Likes

If that’s cheap, wow I can’t wait to see someone get dynamic expensive water.

1 Like

would the “expensive” water look something similar to https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/business20/uploads/facepunch1/optimized/2X/b/b50bb9a6a613f7230b444c9eef0b82f35978623c_2_690x330.jpeg

Would it be that detailed? tbh even water this good is surprisingly detailed.

2 Likes

I agree, that’s totally true. However, for technical builds, having a framework like this would enable people to build AMAZING stuff compared to whats possible now. But if valve themselves never even touched that for their canceled projects, it might take a little more effort than what it’s worth. But it would definitely be true to the whole “A worthy Garry’s Mod sequel” if it’s done!

Also, come on, its not like you will try to throw a toilet at somebody and it will curve due to magnus effect. That stuff will have less impact in trajectories than what the demos themselves show. Specially for heavier objects.

1 Like

Life imitating art imitating life

7 Likes

The water looks fantastic!

1 Like

Water looks nice - now make every other natural texture. :+1:

1 Like

Looks good! Have you also worked on the visuals for when the player/camera is underwater?

1 Like