Ways to practice C#

I’ve done some light C# coding with WPF and that’s about it. I know dev access to S&box is coming later. What are some good ways to practice C# (Is WPF good enough for now) and when will us devs (not people completely dedicated to creating entire sets of content for S&box, just wanting to tinker around until we are ready to create content) get access to S&box to start working on it?

1 Like

These can help some. I personally use the Unigine game engine to practice my C# until S&box release. Unity could be used in the same way, I’m not quite familiar on that though.

4 Likes

I’m not sure if WPF will get you far in S&box, as it is not used there at all. Do more console applications and don’t waste time on WPF, don’t get me wrong, WPF is a great thing, but if you are not going to use it then why bother.

I started my journey by creating a Discord bot using Discord.Net. Might sound complex, but it’s as complex as you want it to be. You begin from making a simple bot that can only login and has a “ping-pong” command. Then you slowly add features that other bots have, like playing music, parsing memes from reddit, moderation commands or whatever you want. If you want to make your own, I can recommend a YT channel “Coding with Efehan”.

Also, I liked some sites with small challenges:

Didn’t use this one, but looks the same as other two:

And there’s this one, it has a lot of interesting challenges too.

If you don’t like these and they make you feel like you’re back in school again, you might also try just making whatever you want.
It’s always fun ( at least for me :wink: ) to come up with an idea and then spend a couple of hours getting it to “work” and then days to make it perfect, having a lot of “eureka moments” along the way… It doesn’t have to be something big, even a simple console application to sort and remove duplicate lines from a txt file will teach you how to use things like Linq, HashSet, File I/O and how to work with strings.

Let me know if you find any of this interesting and have fun learning C#! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s awesome thanks! I didn’t know if Unity and that type of stuff would be a good starting ground. GMod is actually what got me into good programming. I started with an addon, tinkered and changed things around, and kept adding things. I’m sure however that with Unity it isn’t really possible to do that since C# relies so much on OOP, which requires you to know the structure of what has been made.

I’ll definitely try these out!

1 Like