Hello! We’ve got a surplus of new members lately so I wanted to throw down some helpful posting tips for higher quality posts. This is in no way an attempt to be condescending or arrogant, I just feel it would help the Rust forum a little bit.
- Lurk before posting. Make sure to read as much as possible before you post to get an idea what a quality post is and isn’t. You see those dumb ratings on people’s posts? Although ratings don’t mean much, FP regulars will rate you dumb if they’re annoyed by your post. So try not to embarrass yourself by posting poorly.
- Don’t start threads with little to no content. If you’re starting a thread, you should have a large amount of material (ideas, pictures, a properly planned discussion) to put in the original post to get the thread started. Adding an entire thread for a one sentence question is a poor idea. If you want to ask something or have a small short-term topic that you want to discuss, post in the Rust General Chat instead.
- If you want to start up a new thread, make sure the topic isn’t already covered. Skimming the first few pages of the forum will help, and you should be checking out most of the threads if you’re going to be posting here anyways.
- Don’t ask for an alpha key. We won’t be giving you one. You may be able to get one if you lurk around the forum for a while for opportunities.
- Also make sure to think your posts through before posting. Many people read this forum and they will see your posts; you want a good impression of yourself to others.
Also I hope that I don’t get banned for backseat moderation. I was a bit worried to post this with that thought and again, the point was not to be arrogant, just to be helpful.
Thanks for reading and happy posting!