What about hacks, exploits?

Hi everyone, I’m really interested in this question, because in Garrys mod this is a huge problem, and server creators sometimes have to fix the game’s exploits themselves. Still wondering if there will be anti-cheat in the game?

P.S. I apologize if google translate does not translate well into English :slight_smile:

1 Like

Exploits are 9 times out of 10 introduced by community content, not the game itself.

I believe it’s been said that there won’t be an anti-cheat built in to the game yet. It’s pretty impossible to make an anti-cheat for a sandbox game due to the infinite amount of possibilities.

2 Likes

I wrote, GAME EXPLOITS, not community content

1 Like

And you wrote ANTI_CHEAT. He just answered your question. There will be game exploits for sure, and they will get fixed. It’s like in every software. But at the moment, there is no need talking about game exploits as it’s still WIP and in early development with a lot of upcoming changes.

2 Likes

Garry already said that other than fixing exploits and vulnerabilities there won’t be any kind of anti-cheat, it is up to the server creator.

3 Likes

Due to the entirely dynamic nature of s&box’s mechanics, apart from solving issues in the source 2 engine itself (Which is Valve’s problem), it will be very difficult to try and make a one-size-fits-all anticheat.

If you want to be really protected, just make your gamemode in a strange way completely different to other people. It’s not really hard to do…

[Edit] Also take a look at the numerous times this has already been brought up:

2 Likes

my main question was not about anti-cheat, but about exploits my friend

1 Like

I have rarely (if ever) seen server operators who can fix Source engine exploits on their own (even through C++ modules). The developers of Garry’s Mod have fixed the vast majority and there must be a few left that are not public or simply not impactful for the rest of the players. Personally, I don’t see how this is a “huge problem” since they are non-existent at your level.

3 Likes

Like many have said, due to the amount of addons, different people creating content, there will inevitably be exploits within the servers that are created. It is on the server owners to identify their issues and resolve them. I know in Minecraft, you can obtain “Anti-Cheat” plugins that monitor each player, and while this may be something that could work it is not feasible to think it would be implented in the core of the game, because it would be worked around due to the add-ons and game modes that create unique game modes. I hope this answered your question, that it is the server owners responsibility to know how to fix problems within their game mode, and have the know-how to accomplish these tasks.

1 Like