What are you looking forward to?

So everyone’s here hyped for s&box, but what specifically are you looking forward to?

Mappers are having fun with the new Hammer, programmers are looking forward to the realtime C# api that we get sneak peaks from garry. Gamers are looking forward to playing darkrp 2. What in particular are you hyped for?

I’m personally looking forward to the fact that it’s all multiplayer. It’s such a good environment to design maps, program, and create entire games all at the same time with people together. Somehow Unity and Unreal still don’t have any sort of real-time collaboration tools that don’t require a LAN network and break after an hour.

4 Likes

well.
I look the most forward to having all the tools available like Faceposer and shader editor.
Those are currently missing from the HLA build of Source 2 and that sucks.
Having those available would ascend map making to a whole new level.
And i really hope i get Early Access to be able to test the tools and learn even more about Source 2 than i already know.
Im kinda known for knowing everything about source 2. like ask me anything and its very likely i know the answer.

TLDR: I want all tools, since im a Creator rather than player

3 Likes

Cool! I’ve seen some people interested in the shader tools for source, not sure how well they can be done with s&box though.

Does source 2 do anything better than unreal or unity? They’ve got pretty good shader and material editors, even if the accessabillity in some regards is lacking.

1 Like

well i havent seen anything from the source 2 shader editor so i cant really say much about it. the biggest thing i like about source 2 more than unity for example is that each tool is neatly seperated instead of being just seperate tabs like in unity. and its a lot more reactive so if you change something you can see changes pretty much instantly. unlike like in unity where it takes some time to recompile assets

3 Likes

Seeing gamemodes that have standalone game tier quality, but that might be too much expectation tho.

5 Likes

I’m sure we will get quite a few of them. s&box has much better asset importing than gmod, so we’ll get much better content quality. It might take a while before we see anything on a large scale though.

Depends on how garry decides to implement server browsing to be honest, since discoverabillity is going to be very important, and hard to do.

3 Likes

I wonder how many gamemodes would convert to a standalone at some time, e.g. like DayZ.

3 Likes

What I’m expecting the most is the improved networking. Dealing with networking variables and messages in Garry’s Mod quickly turned painful.
Besides that, Source 2’s realtime rendering is beautiful and being able to work with PBR instead of whatever Source uses is such a relief. I have whole scenes I needed to put into Gmod that just wouldn’t look good, and look great with minimal effort in S2.
Also I’m really hoping for custom shaders or at least access to the rendering pipeline from within addons. I want to make them portals efficient.

2 Likes

Not really, we’ve seen what people are capable of even in the very limited Garry’s Mod with GLua (G stands for garbage)…

2 Likes

Easily the most exciting part for me is having a go at the improved networking and proper OOP, replicable types look to be a game changer for both small and large projects alike.

Source 2 would be a close second (heh) just because I want to see how far we’ll be able to push the engine. People have been able to do some of the craziest shit you can think of with Garry’s Mod and I’m sure there’ll be plenty of attempts to see just how much abuse it’s successor can take.

5 Likes

C# and easier model importing

3 Likes

Importing is another big one I’m hyped for. We’ve seen some work on an initial concept with the original UE4 version, and while there are questions as to how sandboxed s&box will be, the fact that they had working importers that worked at run time was insane.

Layla had GTA V natively loading at runtime with a custom importer, and it’s awesome

I hope they do decide to keep this capability in the new source 2 version of s&box, I can just imagine a bunch of cool stuff you can do by just natively loading other game’s assets and maps.

3 Likes

I suspect there have been already multiple concepts that could very well have evolved into standalone quality content in Garry’s Mod but were drowned and never discovered. Discoverability is very much a concern if we want deeper gamemodes to flourish

4 Likes

I’m personally really excited as to the kind of gamemodes (or should I say games?) people are gonna make in Sandbox and I really hope people are gonna create really cool and creative gamemodes that we don’t see anymore with Garry’s Mod.

Out of curiosity, I decided to check out older versions of Garry’s Mod recently and I was surprised and kind of shocked that there were so many good and fun gamemodes that were created for older versions of Garry’s Mod that we now don’t see anymore. As people have become more focused on creating the same kinds of servers and gamemodes that don’t add anything new or unique mostly because it’s far less riskier to create and it makes them money.

So I’m really hoping that they’ll be more emphasis on creating unique and enjoyable experiences for people to enjoy, rather than the same cookie-cutter stuff that everyone else will follow. As someone who once spent 4+ years on my old YouTube channel, primarily making Garry’s Mod videos and focusing on RP servers, it was upsetting to see just how many servers just did the same things as other servers and how they don’t take chances with new and creative ideas.

So I’m hopeful that the same doesn’t happen to S&Box.

3 Likes

I’m also extremely excited about the improved networking, if streaming custom collision meshes actually becomes a thing it will open a whole world of possibilities for technical builds, and that is the most beautiful side of Garry’s Mod for me
Howeverr, stuff like this makes me concerned that the physics engine might be less resilient at high speeds than s1, we will have to see tho.

4 Likes

On the topic of streaming custom collision meshes, we can finally load assets asynchronously for players on the server: meaning we can do an initial load of just collision boxes, then later down the line send high quality assets to players during gameplay.

I’m very much excited to leverage this for many servers and game modes, you can basically make loading screens a thing of the past with good caching techniques, and is basically a requirement for some multi-server shared playing spaces I’ve got some ideas for.

3 Likes

I’m a developer, so I can’t wait to play with C# and everything we’ll get with it. Maybe I’ll even join a team of devs or make my own to create something together.

But most importantly, I want to see what gamemodes people will come up with! It was always fun to start Garry’s Mod, scroll down past all the RP garbage, and find something actually UNIQUE, INTERESTING and FUN with only ~5-20 people online/gamemode!
The great examples would be “Players vs Boss” aka ValGaming and “Smash / Slope / Build To The Top” aka MoronYard (now dead due to low online), this is how I found them and was playing there for a long time. Devs there actually cared and put a LOT of effort and time in their development.

So… I’ve spent thousands of hours playing and developing stuff in Garry’s Mod. Can’t wait to spend even more time in Sandbox!

5 Likes

We can only hope. I won’t be surprised to see DarkRP 2, TTT2 (TTT2 2?), SWRP2, etc. but hopefully new things will flourish as well.

For me, I’m excited to see just how far we can push the limits of the engine in terms of making content that makes more stuff on the fly. Procedurally generated gameplay, meshes, and so on.

4 Likes

Guaranteed we’ll get about 4 or more copies of “Dark RP 2”, but what can you do?

I’m looking forward to how much you can change s&box into having in-game tools and basically creating an entire game pipeline that’s multiplayer and collaborative. We’ve seen the old map making videos, hope we can do that in s&box and all work together real-time. It’s going to be awesome!

1 Like

Keeping it short, I’m looking forward to seeing how developers and communities move to sandbox. Weather this be completely starting over or taking what they already have an improving it to match sandbox and it’s features.

2 Likes