What can i do to make my hud better?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8718166/gm_construct0000.jpg

What could i do to make this better in asthetics?
Yes i know its fuckugly so i want to make it better

Image wont load for me

Sorry about that.
I’m off to my dads so I’ll try and fix it there.
If not I’ll have wait till tomorrow.

Sorry about this.

[editline]20th May 2011[/editline]

-Fixed-

IDK its just ugly, use another font?

Keep in my mind I’m working on the health bar and that’s what I want changing.

Ignore the top for now.

When I am looking for new designs for HUDs and such I use Google for existing games hud’s since I am not artistic

Add a armor bar, make it look blue or green :3

Im getting onto that soon.

[editline]20th May 2011[/editline]

Would you be able to help me with a sort of heart rate monitor sort of system if i was to add you on steam?
So it has the graph with the line and as you loose hp it goes faster, gets smaller peeks and changes colour.
Thanks.

Instead of using a roundedbox use roundedboxex and make it kind of have a reflection color like:

and use some custom textures.

That looks horrible jrj996

Yeah, the box is a little large but I don’t think it’s horrible. But yeah science do something that has a nice reflection or something similar and like a glowing effect to it’s awesome when it comes out like that :smiley:

Sorry but that is horrid.
Im gonna blow the cobwebs off my photoshop and get some blood effects going.
Flawless, take a look at my earlier comment please.

Things to keep in mind when making a good HUD

1. Keep it simple - people don’t want to have to stare hard at a bar or menu trying to figure out what it means
  2. Keep it SMALL - Large HUDs that clutter the screen are a huge pain in the ass. You can convey all the info you need in a small area
  3. Make sure it scales - Don’t use static numbers, use multiples of ScrW() and ScrH() so people on different resolutions can use it as well.
  4. Make it readable - Colors are everything, don’t use too large of a contrast between backgrounds and text. Also don’t use eye bleeding color schemes like true blue on true red.

That’s you Kidd

Well i have this now:
[img_thumb]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8718166/gm_construct0002.jpg[/img_thumb]
How could i make that sort of slide across the grid.

[lua]surface.SetDrawColor( 0, 255, 0, 255 )
–surface.DrawLine( 0, ScrH()-100, 200, ScrH()-100)
local _Move = math.abs(math.sin(CurTime()*2))*10
print(_Move)
surface.DrawLine( _Move, ScrH()-100, _Move+50, ScrH()-30)
surface.DrawLine( _Move+50, ScrH()-30, _Move+100, ScrH()-150)
surface.DrawLine( _Move+100, ScrH()-150, _Move+150, ScrH()-60)
surface.DrawLine( _Move+150, ScrH()-60, _Move+200, ScrH()-100)[/lua]

Probably using a timer or calling the update code in Think()

Try removing the background grid (later) and you might even be able to use animated textures to get a really nice effect (and just change which texture you’re scrolling across based on health).

This is a little complex but i think it’d look better than a drawline solution, if you’re handy with textures it will probably be much easier as well.

[editline]e[/editline]

To expand upon this, what you’d want to do in a texture situation is have an animated texture scrolling is move X as the texture is moving <-, decreasing width as well, while at the same time moving X <- of the second texture and increasing it’s width, then when there’s an update switch the new texture (second scolling texture on the right) to a newer one (lower or higher health)

I haven’t tested it out, but it works in my head anyway.

Yea i get what you mean.
I have already requested someone to make me a nice texture cause im just hurendous with photoshop.

Or just learn some maths

Its not about advanced maths, its just knowing which functions to use and laying them out in a way that uses advanced arithmatics.

I dont think im going to do that anyway, i wont have a hud, ill just make it so as you approach death your screen gets covered in blood and it slowly fades off.

You could do something stupidly like.

[lua]local line = 0;
hook.Add(“HUDPaint”,“DrawLine”, function()
line = line + 10
if line >= 120 then
line = 10
end
surface.SetDrawColor( 0, 255, 0, 255 )
–surface.DrawLine( 0, ScrH()-100, 200, ScrH()-100)
local _Move = math.abs(math.sin(CurTime()*2))*10
print(_Move,line)
surface.DrawLine( _Move+line, ScrH()-100, _Move+50+line, ScrH()-30)
surface.DrawLine( _Move+50+line, ScrH()-30, _Move+100+line, ScrH()-150)
surface.DrawLine( _Move+100+line, ScrH()-150, _Move+150+line, ScrH()-60)
surface.DrawLine( _Move+150+line, ScrH()-60, _Move+200+line, ScrH()-100)

end)[/lua]