What do you like in a map?

What do you like in a map, of any category. DM, sandbox. That kind of thing.
I shall use ideas in an upcoming build/dm/??? map that I am making. Pictures when I have some ideas.

It really differs between map genre to summarise in my opinion.

Creativity, secret rooms, not full bright, and if the textures don’t look like a grass tile floor.

I like hard to get to places without noclip

Ok! That’s great! Removes grass tiling :smiley:

A bog map.

1. A big open space for cars and such.
  2. A lake, a big deep lake.
  3. A building, multiple ones actually for the role-players or the people who just like to fortify.
  4. Secret places!
  5. High places that are good for sniping and get toable by teleport or maybe not.
    (maybe include some noncolided brushes to hide in on top like in gmod 9 construct)

That’d be the coolest.

What I look for in a map is quality.

To define quality, I basically want something that took some time to make, and has very few errors in it.

I am about to release my first map soon.

Quality will be in high order in my map!
Also numbers 1-4 are to be done! Not five because of the map type. I’m also quite flexible with minges and I am a “Help them don’t ban them.” person because a helped minge may produce good work when mingyness is undone but a tower and most servers with SWEPS Faints.

I used to try making these sort of threads while I was mapping for UT2004. They don’t work.

I like any sort of well thought out custom content, and a layout that doesn’t inhibit any form of movement. :o

Nice negativity.

Claustrophobia.

gm_haunted_church would be nice ^^

“A building is alive, like a man. Its integrity is to follow its own truth, its one single theme, and to serve its own single purpose. A man doesn’t borrow pieces of his body. A building doesn’t borrow hunks of its soul. Its maker gives it the soul, and every wall, window and stairway to express it.” - (Roark) Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead

What we really need according to me is some big map with deep water to build submarines and stuff like that.

There are loads of maps like that already out there, gm_waterbuild is one.

When it’s look like the real life …

Secret places :v:

And complex buildings. :slight_smile:

Easter Eggs/Secrets, some friendly Combine Cops and Citizens walking around to make it feel roleplayish, and many other things.

Architecture…and seeing amazing things people do with custom textures, Rp_suburbian for example…Sadly it died