What kind of access will we have to the map

For instance will we have like full acess to modify triangles? I heard there were dynamic displacements but to what capacity can we modify these? If we had time could we make entire proceduals worlds including buildings?

4 Likes

I’m also very curious about this. I would love to know to what extent we can modify the active map from code. I want to create a gamemode that would involve terrain destruction on a minute scale.

2 Likes

I think dynamic displacement editing is likely.

In some code garry released (Code.zip/Entity/WaterSea.cs), there is what appears to be dynamic model creation via vertices/materials and physics plane generation. Not sure if editing of verts is possible with current code, but looks probable.

Lighting might end up looking like shit tho.

3 Likes

We’re not as restricted as source 1, since maps are just entities like everything else from what I’ve seen so far.

Some people are already doing procedural cities with hammer’s generation tools, which is pretty cool.

The main question with destructive / procedural methods is how well we can get dynamic runtime lighting performing, since baked lightmaps won’t work.

3 Likes

Mesh - yes
Collision - yes
Vis - I don’t know
Navmesh - I don’t know

12 Likes

One of the coolest features of the initial S&box on Unreal Engine was the possibility to create and edit maps in collaboration and at runtime. Is this something out of the table now that we’re on Source²?
I guess it’s the same for the ability to make our own asset importer I think I saw that the plan is to use source tools to import assets.

Even though it’s technically possible to edit the geometry hammer compiles, there’s not much point doing it. If you want to do procedural stuff, you can do that easily. You have access to meshes and the physics world.

5 Likes

There’s stuff I’d like to explore with Hammer.

Since the game is always running with Hammer, I don’t know why we can’t try to update entities in game live. Obviously static world stuff would probably need to be recompiled, but when moving entities or changing their values, that seems like it could be updated live instead of having to compile and restart the map.

I’d love to eventually get tool addons too. If we get that, it seems like it’d pave the way for live entity editing, so we’d probably do that first.

8 Likes

This might be a question with an obvious answer but can you also access the used props on a map?
For prop hunt this would be great. Like on each map you could easily limit the list of props a player could choose from based on the the existing props on this particular map.