What makes Sandbox unique from Gmod?

While it’s been made a clear point that sandbox will not be Garry’s Mod 2 there is often the question in how it will be different from Garry’s mod and not be considered just a modern version of it as Garry put it.

So I’m wondering for the sake of clarity what will be the division between Garry’s mod and S&box fundamentally, what will make it unique?

We see many of the same features with new looks and new features brought about through source2 but nothing that makes a clear answer too me and some others too what separates S&box from Gmod. Obviously there stuff like the engine etc but that would still be falling back on making a modern version of gmod. I’m not complaining here either many of these features have been redone beautifully and some newer features look great.

What’s going to make sandbox unique from gmod? I think for people to stop calling it gmod2 this will have to become apparent and for a clear answer to be out there. I myself have a bit of my own answer but I’m wondering what everyone else thinks.

2 Likes

I’ve already created a topic with this in mind:

1 Like

I’m more asking what makes Sandbox not Garry’s Mod 2 not necessarily what players are looking forward to sorry if that wasn’t transparent. As in what makes Sandbox not a updated version of gmod.

2 Likes

They want to have gamemodes that people want to play instead of it just being sandbox mode.

2 Likes

Well that’s what the topic is about, people discussing why they are looking forward to s&box compared to things like gmod or other game engines like unreal or unity.

Some people have already been having a great time making maps with the new hammer, and many enjoy how easy it is to make things compared to gmod. Me and some other people are looking forward to easier animations, and there are plenty of discussions about the new matchmaking and networking features.

There are also a ton of cool ideas and plans that people simply couldn’t do in gmod over at

I recommend checking them out! Some very cool ideas people have over there!

2 Likes

I think the main thing that is going to set Sandbox apart is a much bigger focus on ‘games’/gamemodes instead of addons, just look at the main menu. While it’s still a work in progress and the design isn’t final it’s obvious that it’s being designed in a way that puts those things front and center.

I’m hesitant to say this but I guess you could almost compare it with Roblox instead.

3 Likes

So Roblox but better?

2 Likes

Basicly yes

3 Likes

With S&box we are excepted to have even bigger creative freedom than before and native VR support should easily make this a must have VR game for any VR player.

1 Like

spot on pretty much

if gmod is minecraft minigame servers, sbox is roblox but with modern graphics

1 Like

People just need to understand the technical component of source))

1 Like

This is more Roblox mixed with unity-like + VRChat Experience. It has more complexity, they are essentially exposing all the engine code to C#. Garry’s mod did some of this to an extent but Garry’s mod had a framework and you worked within it, working outside of FPS games or when you need to modify the player controller/Overhaul the player controller that could be really difficult. Sandbox exposes more of that to C# (in fact most of the implementations in sandbox) and with that can mean that systems that may have been present in GMod to facilitate things like that may not work the same/be more complex/missing entirely as it was not really needed by FP. This means it will be a more DIY type thing which will be more powerful, but require more work.

3 Likes

I like how everyone rambles about VR-this and VR-that, S&Box being a top 1 VR game of all times and all that, even though we haven’t seen a single VR-related thing during its development yet.

2 Likes

And Garry’s even said he isn’t sure whether VR will be a thing/how to even do that
It probably will be a thing, but maybe not on launch.

1 Like

I was more referring to the multiplayer experience, not VR itself. VRChat’s big thing is you have rooms that people in the community create and people join and do stuff. You do not even need VR for VRChat it will work in flatscreen.

1 Like

Then I’m even more confused about how is it related.

1 Like

In VRChat you have Servers/“Rooms” with minigames or maps made by the community and you just kind of play them with the community. That seems to be essentially Garry’s goal with Sandbox, only more versatile. A platform to create custom games/game-modes/maps and just dick around and/or socialize in the game-modes for lack of a better term.

1 Like