What Processor should I buy?

Okay since I do not believe in the exorbitant prices GSP put for their “Dedicated” options I have decided to build my own server and host it on a its own Gigabit connection.

Currently I am just stuck between purchasing either an i7 4790K (4 GHz - 4.4 GHz Turbo) or an E3 1276 v3 (3.6 GHz - 4.0GHz Turbo)
At first the best choice will seems obvious but I have heard that Xeons tend to be better suited at operating non stop for extended periods thus increasing their lifespans as opposed to mainstream CPUs.

Please leave any suggestions or comments down below. Maybe even suggest a different CPU that you believe will handle a 300 Player load efficiently.

Specs:
Motherboard: Intel Server Motherboard S1200V3RPL LGA 1150
RAM: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered
HDD: Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM

Thanks for taking time out of your life to help me!

Hey man, make a thread here.

Request a close on this one, it’s not the right section

May as well answer it here anyways.

Xeon cause you have ECC memory. If you didn’t any of the CPUs would be good.

4790k is the best for gmod.

But he’s running ECC memory. 4790K doesn’t support ECC memory. Xeon or change the memory for non ECC.

4790k > Xeon and ECC for gmod

Also, will the server be hosted at home? Or in a datacenter?

If you have planned to host it at home, dont. You will regret it once you get ddosed.

get something that has lots of power per core because garry decided to get rid of multicore rendering so say goodbye to your regular cpu’s being in any way useful

Wat? How would a server have multicore rendering?

Your suggestion is valid however, serverside crap (ents, physics, Lua) always was and is single threaded.

Okay, thank you all for your input.