I just bring this up because I’m growing more and more frustrated with this utility every time I try and use it. This probably won’t make me many friends, but let’s look back at Gmod 12 for a second. Let’s say that I wanted to edit a SWEP, just to change the default fire-mode from auto to semi-auto.
- Open the shared.lua text file.
- Change what needs changing.
- PROFIT/Try it out.
- Use some ghetto extractor tool to turn the GMA file into a regular folder. Wait five minutes for it to do it’s thing.
- Go in and change what needs changing.
- Use the Workshopper utility, which takes forever, because apparently I need to be able to write a research paper just to stick a mod on Workshop.
- Wait for an hour while it re-compiles everything into a GMA file. Re-start when you realize you accidentally left the “info.txt” file in there.
- Repeat step 5 because it didn’t work the first time.
- Try to upload to workshop, fail horribly because your mod didn’t even download.
- Repeat steps 4 through 7 again.
- Try it out. It didn’t work, you accidentally tapped the space bar one too many times.
- Rage quit.
Look, Garry and the rest of the Gmod team, I get it. You’re busy, people are constantly bitching at you to fix X or Y, the last update appeared to have summoned Cthulu and you need to stop him from devouring the world while everyone freaks out and sends you hate mail. I don’t want to come across as the whiny mofo who thinks he needs to reform everything to fit his personal needs, all I’m asking is that we look at this thing with a little objectivity.
What do you guys think? Do you like workshop or not? Maybe make it easier to really get into the nuts and bolts of a mod, or are you happy with how things are? Keep it civil, people.