What's your rig?

With a recent dilemma in that my newer computer can’t compile a map in anything but Fast modes, I’m curious; What’s in your rig?

Mine:

Intel i7 @ 2.67Ghz
Six GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295

Can never get a full compile (that isn’t in fast mode) done with this. In Hammer and Valve’s Batch Compiler, it freezes at the first step of PortalFlow in VVIS. Tried Nem’s tool, simply crashed at the same point. Can’t finish any large maps.

AMD FX 8120
16 Gb ram
Nvidia Geforce gtx 670

If you’re just compiling maps only, then I suggest you to look forward getting intel processor with multiple of cores.

What’s in your rig. Maybe we can point out whats up with your rig.

I have compiled fine on all my pc’s, and i always used AMD cpus and Nvidia cards.

Only issue with hammer i had was trying to run it on an intel graphics chipset…but i think everything hates those things.

Anything integrated will probably struggle.

Right now I’m running on a slightly outdated GTX 460 and 4 GB with an i5, I’ll probably upgrade ram soon but hammer runs fine.

gtx460 8gb ram i7, compiles everything decently quick, thistool also makes compiling less of a bitch.

MSI GTX 680 PE, i5 2500k and 16gb of ram does the trick for me

EVGA 670 GTX 4gb, i7 3930k, 32gb ddr3. Havn’t had any problems, using the VBCT tool Stiveno linked is great.

I feel poor with my GT 430, 8GB RAM and Phenom II 840 :c
I’ve never really needed to compile a super complex map though, so it does the job well usually.

Thanks for the suggestion, should have done this when I first made the thread.

Radeon HD7870, i5 3570 , 8 gb ddr3 ram.
Works like a charm, doesn’t usually take that long to compile a map.

i5 3550, Asus 560TI, 8GB RAM

After seeing your rig I have a feeling that your pc is good enough to compile maps, if optimized correctly. Also if you haven’t tried that tool I linked you, you should because it helps big time.

Yeah, that’s sort of the problem. The map I’ve been working on is picked up from a friend who didn’t optimize it at all. However while I’m trying to optimize it… Which I need to do a full compile, in hopes the glitch is only due to Fast Compiling it. I’m either going to have to optimize the fuck out of it and pray that’s the issue so hours of work doesn’t just fly out the window, or purchase Windows on my Mac which is a lot better in power.

Want me to give it a shot? add me on steam if so.

GTX 680 SLI, i7-3930k, 64GB RAM

Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67 GHz. (Quad core)
16 GB DDR3 1333 MHz
Radeon HD 5770 1 GB GDDR5 (DX11)
1660 x 900 16:9 Monitor and a 1440 - 900 & 16:10 Monitor

You don’t need a super computer to run source. My PC is 4 years old and the tools and engine runs fine. Sometimes it’s the tools that are the issue. If you use VBCT instead, compiling should be faster/crash less.

Wat.

Win 7 pro allows over 32gb ram. Bit of a waste of cash though really. Even the rigs i built for the programmers at a software company only had about 8gb in.

It’s unlikely most people would ever use 8, let alone 64

Intel Q6600
8GB DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6850
SAMSUNG SSD 830
ASUS Xonar Essence ST