When map is compiled it stays the same as the original in Garry's Mod

If you help it would be most appreciated.

Basically what happened, I had backups of my map in BSP formats. I grabbed one of the BSP files (in my backups) and decompiled. And placed it my (C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\XXXXXXX\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc) and I loaded it with Hammer editor.

** I ran the map (compiled it, and changed things about the map) and put it in my Garrysmod maps folder. However the backup file that was originally the BSP file (in the backup). **

No matter what I do to the map, it still stays the same as the original backup file I decompiled. Also this is for Zwonder 3, if anyones wondering. Im stealing not anyones work.

Compile (Please don’t add me)

Did you change the name, I did that a few years ago and I kept on loading the old file.

Try posting the compile log, it’ll help us help you.

why would you backup a map as a .bsp and not a .vmt.

This makes no sense.

You probably broke your map with a leak when it decompiled, or the filename is wrong (I.E using spaces or periods).

Why would he save a map as vmt and not vmf?

Why would he save a map as vmf and not bsp?

(Loop)

I didn’t think about it. Also I have bad experiences with copying the vmf file.

A backup gets created anyway. It’s called the .vmx

Find Visible Detail Sides…Bad detail brush side:
It seems you have used an invalid combination of tools/ textures on a brush. You can only have one tools/ texture on a brush (Other than a combination of hint and skip)
2)
WARNING: Too many light styles on a face at…
Do you name your lights? If so, don’t.
If you have a lot of lights that will be toggled on and off in the same area, don’t have more than 3 at the very most.

WARNING: Too many light styles on a face at (1023.000000, 2199.500000, 104.499985)
WARNING: Too many light styles on a face at (408.000000, 2159.000000, 136.000000)
x1000

How can you not notice this?

that will not cause the error he’s describing, it will make the lighting where those lights are really bad, but it wouldn’t cause the error.

I’m not too sure about that, I got that same error before when I was making a horror map, and my map wouldn’t change either… That may very well be the problem

Actually, that error will cause a map to fail compiling.

[lua]

materialPath: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\christianbryant\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\materials
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\christianbryant\sourcesdk_co ntent\hl2\mapsrc\zwonder_3_d.vmf
ConVarRef mat_reduceparticles doesn’t point to an existing ConVar
Could not locate ‘GameData’ key in c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\christianbryant\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\gameinfo.txt
Patching WVT material: maps/zwonder_3_d/nature/blenddebris002a_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/zwonder_3_d/blend/blendsandrock_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/zwonder_3_d/blend/blendsnowstone_wvt_patch
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides…
0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…100…1… 2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10Processing areas…done (0)
Building Faces…done (0)
Chop Details…done (0)
Find Visible Detail Sides…Bad detail brush side

2 threads
reading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\christianbryant\sourcesdk_co ntent\hl2\mapsrc\zwonder_3_d.bsp
Error opening c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\christianbryant\sourcesdk_co ntent\hl2\mapsrc\zwonder_3_d.bsp[/lua]

How do you guys not see this?

If you mean the bad detail brush side, then I did and said what to do.
If not, then I still haven’t seen it.

Sorry I power read straight through your post. I saw most people where mentioning the other error that was spamming everywhere

Yup it is. lol.

[editline]1st June 2011[/editline]

I know, now. But like I said, I didn’t think about it. And I felt alot safer copying .BSP’s cause I know that won’t cause any harm.

Sorry, but I don’t see the danger in backingup the .vmf.

:what:
Why would you want to back up your compiled project, and not the source? What harm is going to happen if you backup your VMF? Nothing is going to happen unless your HDD is ont he brink of death. If that is the so case, you should REALLY back up your project. Having the BSP isn’t going to help you at all unless you plan on releasing a semi-finished project.