Where is the multi threading power of the Rubikon Physic in S&Box?

I tested a bit around and I made also a video about it…
Where is the Multicore power of Rubikon that everyone is talking about?
I spawned a lot of props and after my game was running under 10 fps, I took a look at the taskmanager where I can see, that only one thread of my 32 threads are fully loaded… why is that so?

2 Likes

Where did you see the performance features of Rubikon?

1 Like

The Task Manager shows every Thread and the usage of everyone in “%” load and only one thread is maximal loaded and every else is in idle while the game is running uder 10fps.

1 Like

Who told you that s&box physics is multithreaded?

2 Likes

I appreciate the classical minor ballad to accompany this dilemma :joy: but anyway I’m also wondering:

What number of physics props can it handle? anyone know?

1 Like

the question is, how many “moving” physics props can it handle because source 2 freezes every not moved prop to improve performance.
But I still asking, why does it not use Multi Threading? I mean think about that many props that you saw in the video but now multipy it with your count of CPU Cores so e.g. instead only 300 mopving entities, you can handle 5000 moving entites if rubikon would split up the task of the prop physic to every available Thread…

2 Likes

Ask the Valve guys.

1 Like

because multithreaded app are really hard to do (can introduce lot of weird bugs, …). rubikon is a valve thing and they didnt bother to make it multithreaded because they didnt need it for their games. s2 is originally made for valve themself for their needs.
most of your apps, most source2 mecanics, … are single threaded, bc its simplier to work with (code, design…).

so if valve themself didnt bother to make it multithreaded then dont except facepunch to make it at all.

1 Like

Does Facepunch have the interest to make the Rubikon Physic multi-threaded?
I mean, valve didn’t needed it for the few buckets, cans, rats and barrels that you can find in Half Life Alyx.
But in S&Box you will spawn much more than a few props and this would mean that a multi threaded modified rubikon physic would allow much more possibilites of buildings or much larger server witgh less prop limits… or to even for peoples that loves to experiment with many, many props like in my video…

1 Like