Where to start? Noob question

Is it better for someone new to start on a community server or official server? In other words, where are the hardcore packs of KOS players more likely to be? To be clear, I don’t mind PvP, but I would also like to be able to get my feet under me before getting steamrolled while building a one room shelter in the nude.

Also, I saw on the main playrust page, I think in the “about” section that they decided to take out zombies because there was enough stuff to kill you. But I still see people referencing them here, and I have seen them on twitch streams. Whatsupwiththat?

Refer to the many many guides listed. There’s one right there if you shift + tab while playing that explains how to survive the first three days in Rust. I would highly recommend that and just toying around to figure out what works best for you.

I would suggest starting on a No PvP Official Server because the game is pretty confusing at first.

join a low pop server to get your an idea for the game, that way you can start without much threat other than environment so you can learn the basics , yet still be able to learn the PvP in the game.

Thanks for the suggestions. I do feel like I grasp the basics pretty well. Although I haven’t been able to get on yet (auth error last night, now working), I did watch a three hour long twitch vod of two guys who I listen to on podcasts playing the game for the first time together. So I saw a lot of their mistakes and learned from them.