Why are Current Garrysmod Programmers being left out of the Development Build Rollout?

I get that modders for Half-Life Alyx have direct experience with Source 2, but Alyx doesn’t let you get super in-depth with programming. There’s many past and current gmod programmers that can’t really do much with Alyx, but want to get their hands on S&box because we need to plan how we’re going to, you know, program gamemodes and addons on the new framework, since programming is one of the largest work sinks that go into working on stuff like this, at least, from my perspective that is.

I’ll admit, I’ve been programming in gmod for well over 7 years now and its what’s lead to my career in game development, so I’m probably biased, but I still have to ask that if this is going to be the direct successor to gmod, why not get gmod creators involved sooner rather than later?

UPDATE:
Edited the title to sound less annoying.

5 Likes

because they have :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Most Half Life Alyx creators that were chosen also have a long history with Garry’s mod as well, and know how to program in C#, or make assets for source 1 and 2, simple as.

7 Likes

Hmm, maybe my question should have been what the actual criteria were. I suppose if they’re trying to go for a very small rollout that would make sense since that’s a pretty small niche. I know C#, but most of what I do is programming so Modding Half-Life Alyx didn’t really interest me. Guess I should have learned to map.

3 Likes

I do programming and mapping for GMod, but only just recently started looking at Alyx’s hammer.

I guess a large problem is visibility or how much a person is noticed by the community. I am familiar with C#, but dont have and public projects posted any where. I have maps on the workshop, but I guess they are not as popular as some others. and PNRP, while a pretty deep gamemode, is not exactly popular since I did not post about it much in the community during its creation.

Just kind of sucks for those who did alot of work in GMod, but never really got into the community and be noticed enough for a key.

1 Like

What makes you think that Garry’s Mod content creators are left out?
I know a bunch who got access.

1 Like

I guess that’s just the thing, the perspective I was given was that only Half-Life Alyx creators are currently being given access. its not like there’s any sort of registry for who has access so I admit I could be jumping to conclusions based on a lack of information.

1 Like

Just checked the discord and around 20 out of the 50 online dev preview people are at least in the Garry’s mod discord which most likely means they have developed for it. Don’t think thats a terrible amount of gmod developers but should probably be more.

1 Like

The game isn’t ready in the end it won’t even matter if you have the dev preview or not. What is it you’re looking to do? Make a gamemode before the game is released which may end up not working?

1 Like

What do you mean? You would still be able to develop and learn stuff, its not as if everything is going to change completely. People still have a chance to develop their gamemodes and get established.

2 Likes

Feel the same, it at least gives you a start on learning the workings of s&box and being able to start putting together systems and such. And gamemode development can help test out what has been done as well as suggestions on possible improvements.

I Don’t think any developer who gets access before release would understand that it’s not released and things are subject to change, and that their work could help with the overall development of s&box

1 Like

Well if you suddenly come here without having previously showed interest for the game, why would you get an invite? They’ve invited people that have been somewhat interested in the game by being in the discord, forum, sharing stuff they’ve made and so on. They aren’t going to track veteran gmod devs and send them a key, those could even not be interested.

2 Likes

Not sure if anyone in this thread falls under “sudden interest”

1 Like

I do C# but mapping for Alyx is what I have access to at the moment, just working on preparations for s&box and hoping someone notices—the most I or almost anyone can do.

2 Likes

From what I gather, they’re looking for people to help them make content for the base game, and expand the current AP.

Most people who want access right now, wouldn’t even be able to do what they wanted to do anyways. So in that regard, It’s better to wait a bit until the API is more fleshed out, IMHO. They will surely give more and more access over time. If you’re more worried about getting in now so you have the head start chance at grabbing players/getting exposure on launch, I’d bet you’re probably not what they’re looking for. But this is just my opinion, take with grain of salt.

You can always view the current public gamemodes to get an idea on how things work without having access. Otherwise, just be patient.

1 Like

just working on preparations for s&box and hoping someone notices—the most I or almost anyone can do.

There are a lot of us in this same boat. I’m hoping that when the S&box team expands development build access, they will look to the forum first.

1 Like

You would want just a few high-quality creators at start. Don’t worry you’ll get a key when you get one. There will probably be an open beta anyway. Rightnow they really want to keep a small sample size to handle it better.

Probably this thread will get closed as it is again a repetition of dev road 3…

3 Likes

I’m fairly certain coders were the first ones to get keys.

1 Like

As Sven above me said, few HQ creators/developers. They slowly start working on their own stuff and experience and find bugs in the game… and there is a lot obviusly, right now they can work and react to newly discovered bugs faster. >-> Slowly its getting there, I personally cant wait to get my hand on the game as a newbie creator, but wait is totaly good for me, especially since I wont work on anything till I’m over this uni semester >->

2 Likes

Because they want to ease people into it. If anyone can get a key, the feedback they receive about the tools that exist currently is going to get really messy, conflicting and a lot of uselessness will end up being the result.

3 Likes