Why dont they add EAC to the normal rust?

Why doesn’t garry add the Easy Anti-Cheat which is meant to be 10x better and more efficient than VAC to the normal rust version to clean up all the hackers?

I made a topic asking the same question few days ago and after a few replies i realised that it was not worth the time/work. Experimental is almost playable and integrating EAC on normal rust is a waste of time in my opinion.

(Not to mention that 90% of the “hacks” for rust are simply exploit abuse).

Easy Anti-cheat is already available for third-party server owners. Garry, however, likes VAC, so I’d imagine the official servers will continue to run it.

Actually, scratch that. Apparently it’s already in the experimentals (?), so I guess it’s just one of those things where he doesn’t think it’s worthwhile to add it to the base game since it’ll be gone soon anyway.

The original alpha game will not be gone, and will be optional to play between both experimental and the normal rust, and i think it will still have a big player-base so why wouldn’t he? ;ll

The original game is being replaced with what is now the experimental rust once he hits the baseline. Said baseline is where all the features of the original rust are available in some permutation in the experimentals.

Think about it, what would be the purpose of making an experimental version if you were going to keep shipping the original forever?

Garry Newman has said the legacy branch will be kept open, bottom of Dev blog 6.
Also he has said that he will keep the legacy branch open just for fun.

There are millions of people that still love rust legacy, it’s a good game I have 500 hours in rust legacy, I would like to see it available for ever, maybe with a dedicated server packaged in the software once rust (new) has taken over from legacy.

Sorry would provide links etc… But I am on a A500 tablet and I don’t like it. Need my p.c or laptop, this is hell. :frowning:

He’s also said he’s not going to keep updating it after the Experimentals-Trunk conversion, implying that it’s just being kept around for legacy’s sake.

None of that has anything to do with why wouldn’t you implement an anti-cheat on there…

Because it’s not being developed anymore, and is just being kept around for legacy’s sake? That’s a pretty good reason to not develop it anymore, I’d think.

Currently the biggest issue with the game (aside from coding as devs have explained it) is simply the abundance of hackers running around. It ruins the current game, so for people not playing on the experimental their entire current experience is saturated with that.

If it’s a client side implementation it shouldn’t be that hard to add in.

e:/ You’d probably get that if you had played more than 13 hours on Rust.

And now you’re insulting me based on how long I’ve played the game…

Okay. I’m done here.

Maybe you’d understand that it’s useless dedicating man hours to updating a version of a game client you have no intention of finalizing, if you weren’t an entitled man child.

Even though the benefits of putting the little man hours would be so great? Even if we paid millions already?

I would imagine the new EAC system is tuned to the new Rust version. Especially since Rust basically underwent a complete re-write, I can see EAC proving difficult to implement into the current version of Rust.

So switch to experimental?
There’s no reason to update something you’ve said you’re not going to update.

I mean the fucking computer/device definition of “legacy” is:

http://puu.sh/9YLSb/4b54f9ca89.png

But I’m sure you’re not going to listen to me because I’ve only played 54 Steam-logged minutes of Rust and thus I obviously don’t know anything about the technical side of things or general common logic.

[editline]6th July 2014[/editline]

There really aren’t any benefits apart from keeping people outdated.
And that’s not a benefit.

Anti cheat of any sort is not possible with an only client-side solution. If people are already going into the memory of the program and editing values, they could just as easily bypass or even remove the anti-cheat.

Garry would have to implement it into the server files as well as the client. The question would be “Does Garry believe it’s worth pushing an update for legacy servers to solve something that will soon be obsolete?” Just because it will still be available, it doesn’t mean adding to it is relevant to the development of the game as a whole, or the end product.

Because the way legacy rust is written opens up too many holes for hackers. It’s not that VAC is bad, it’s just that the old code was so easy to get around.

Are you a rust developer or how do you know how many man hours they need to implement EAC?

You realize that EAC is from a 3rd party? So Facepunch has to pay the EAC guys to fight against hackers. Now they are already paying them for the experimental branch and you want them to pay for the legacy branch, too? And pay these 2 fees forever even when in a foreseeable future almost nobody will play the legacy branch anymore and hackers will focus on experimental? They’ll loose the millions pretty fast if they listen to guys like you…

This, in itself, is already an oxymoron. Kids like Kail and vachon644 haven’t got the slightest idea of what that actually means, because well, they never worked near a development team.

And BTW vachon644, YOU didn’t pay millions of dollars\euros\whatever. YOU paid 20€$\whatever currency. So quit being like Karl Marx or whatever and stop talking for all of us. You don’t represent me in any way.

This is vachon644’s opinion on handling hackers:

I think someone’s a little biased in their priorities. The devs have much more important things to do than spend one more minute with the legacy branch that they don’t have to. And since the devs are working to try and get experimental to a “playable” state, where GSPs get to deploy experimental servers, in about a month, adding EAC to the old branch right now is a total waste of time for something that effectively won’t matter in a month. It is a far better use of the devs’ time to just put all focus on experimental.

Legacy with all its faults and flaws has no future. Three months from now none of you will care about adding EAC to legacy, and that’s enough of a reason not to do it. Three months from now, there will be a lot more people caring about experimental than any old version of Rust.

Also, garry announced that they’d be integrating EAC in February. The experimental branch started in March. EAC didn’t get activated on the experimental server until the first week of May. Do you really think the legacy branch would have properly working EAC after only a few hours of work?