Why I Have Stopped Playing Rust

Allow me to preface this post by saying that I am aware the game is still in development. Also, I suspect that there is little I will say here that has not already been said, but I hope to articulate it in such a way that will promote constructive debate and prompt the game developers to think about issues that perhaps they had not considered up to this point.

I purchased Rust about eight or nine months ago, and for a long time I had a lot of enthusiasm about the game, not only for what it was, but also for what it could potentially evolve into. It was groundbreaking in the way that it blended the genres of Survival, Sandbox, and Multiplayer FPS. The graphics have always been impressive, and the core gameplay concepts on which it was built remain extremely intriguing. Lately, however, I have become very disillusioned, not only by the slow rate at which development has progressed, but also by the direction that it has taken. I suspect I am not the only person who feels this way.

Rust has been available for Early Access purchase for nearly a year. Six months ago, they all but gave up trying to build on the original program and instead elected to start development all over again, more or less from scratch. In doing so, they may have laid the foundation for a much richer game experience, but they have failed to bring the game even close to where they left off with legacy, at least in terms of gameplay. Granted, the time spent developing legacy was likely longer than six months, but they have had a lot more resources at their disposal in the development of the current (experimental) version. One would think that with the funds raised from Early Access sales, enough man-hours could have been put in to at least get the game back to baseline by now.

Experimental, as compared to legacy, has brought some promising changes. The new procedural map generation is the most notable improvement, as it broadens the horizons of the game both literally and figuratively. Improvements in the graphics and lighting effects are promising, even though not all the bugs have been worked out yet. The addition of swimming and new environmental hazards (thirst, wet, cold, etc.) are also very encouraging. Major problems that existed in legacy, such as animals falling through the floor of the map or players being able to loot through walls, have apparently been dealt with successfully.

However, there have been many other changes that have made the game much less fun to play. In my opinion, these rest mainly in the new system for building and destruction of structures. As the game stands now, it takes far fewer resources to compromise or bypass a player-made structure than it does to build it. It’s possible to bust through even the most upgraded wall, door, foundation, or floor… with just a stone hatchet. Given enough time, even a naked with a rock could do it. Building high walls does little, if anything, to improve defenses either, because it’s so easy to build a stairway from the outdoors to reach up and over the highest wall. This was possible in legacy, but not to the same degree it is now, as it no longer requires an adjacent foundation.

Now, players can build outward as they go up, creating structures that defy basic principles of architecture. We see houses built in the shape of an inverted pyramid. We see massive stairways rising diagonally from a single foundation. Not only are these structures completely unrealistic, they make it incredibly easy for anyone to get over and around the most stalwart of defenses. What’s worse is that the development team seems to relish in the “creativity” of these new structures, recognizing and applauding those who develop the most ridiculously off-balance buildings by posting screenshots of their work in the devblog.

Apparently, to them, realism is only important in the game when it involves making it harder for players to maintain a secure base. The new system of locks is evidence of this. Even with the new keycode locks that mimic legacy’s doors, players are still much more open to having their own bases stolen from them. By allowing the codes to be changed on unlocked doors, it means anyone you share the code with can change the locks on you.

Some may see this as an improvement; a “more realistic gameplay experience.” But, as I posted in these forums several months ago, there are many aspects of this game that are not at all realistic, and when it comes to online multiplayer games involving PvP, balance is much more important than realism.

Consider this as an example: In real life, if I built a survival cabin in a post-nuclear wilderness, I would immediately wake up from the deepest sleep were anyone to come trying to break in. Conversely, in a game like Rust, 13 naked dudes with rocks can come and spend hours (days from an in-game standpoint) busting their way in, and I won’t get so much as a text message on my smartphone letting me know that it’s happening. Playing under these conditions is impractical, except maybe for the most hardcore gamer teams who can guard their bases 24/7 by doing shifts online. If they are the limit of your target audience, I hope you don’t expect much in the way of further sales.

There is little I have seen so far that would indicate the game developers consider balanced gameplay to be a priority. If anything, it has been quite the opposite. I plan to refrain from playing Rust for at least the next couple months, as I estimate this is the least amount of time it will take for the game to get back to baseline at the current rate of progress. I also plan to refrain from recommending the game to my friends until I can feel there is actually something to be gained by investing any significant amount of time on an un-modded server, and thereby assuage the regret I now feel for having invested $20 in this game.

You go on like that and even make some sense, then at the end you say you regret paying $20 and wont recommend it any more. How many hours have you played?

Are you really saying it was not worth the money? I hate it when people say this, you probably have hundreds of hours on record so have gotten more for your money than you would with the latest AAA title.

You do have some valid points but this version has been worked on for 6 months so they need a chance. As for the weird structures, there is plans for that, hit bottom parts and the rest comes away etc. Things will change all the time and the game is not going to be finished for a long time.

This mostly!

I have like 100+ hours of gameplay in legacy. I also dont like some things that they are doing in experimental, BUT like the guy above me said … They are working on some good stuff… Just trust rito, euh i mean facepunch :v:

Legacy needed a rebuild. It’s given FP a much richer environment to develop in, and will lead to a much better end product. To say updates have been slow would mean that you’re entirely ignorant of the massive amount of work involved here – making games isn’t easy. Try getting the free version of Unity and doing anything. It’s fucking hard. I know people who have been working with the engine for 5+ years and still don’t have a complete handle on its idiosyncrasies. Anyway, you can see the progress at playrust.com. Read the dev blogs. There is no stall whatsoever – we have constant updates. What people like you don’t understand is that FP isn’t working to make RIGHT NOW awesome, but instead they’re striving for a fantastic end product. So I hate to be the guy you predicted, but yeah, keep in mind we’re still in alpha before you start whining like a spoiled child. Content is coming, balancing is coming. If there are issues with the construction mechanic that are real, they will be addressed in due time (and some of the stuff that has been praised in community updates can’t be done now… The guy who does those isn’t an FP dev).

And just to note, I haven’t played Rust in 3-4 months, but I still don’t bitch and whine when stuff doesn’t come together like magic. That’s because I recognize this is a process, and one that needs some serious time to come together. It will be amazing when it’s done. Your childishness and faux, melodramatic gestures don’t help the process at all.

You wanted our attention? You have it. Now go grab daddy a beer.

Boseknows you ain’t the only one m8, I’m giving it till the end of the month then moving all my servers to another game. Hours of playing to have the lot wiped anytime they see fit. I could go on about this but I think you’ve covered it all.

Legacy shouldn’t have been replaced with this until it was out of development! Plain and simple…

Although you may understand that it is in development, It seems you don’t fully grasp what that actually means. In your post you talk about gameplay. This is Alpha. Understand that Aplha testing is feature testing as opposed to Beta that is gameplay testing. That is a huge distinction that I wish more people would understand.

I think the issue stands that you saw Rust had “Multiplayer FPS” as a “core gameplay concept”. The pvp as it existed in legacy was an artificial playstyle brought on by the close quarters caused by the small-ish playable area of the map. I doubt it was ever intended to be a battle royale with weekly wipes.

This is a common misconception that Garry has addressed on multiple occasions. Rust’s development was fully funded before the alpha sales. Hiring a slew of coders poses it’s own challenge, and would not have increased production as some seem to think. Garry’s main reason for the reboot was coding standards. The code in legacy was too unruly to be easily refactored.

When you add a large amount of people to a team, you have to make sure their code is to the standaed of the rest of the code. Because they removed Pat and Helk had to step aside because of his mom getting sick, that left Garry and the new team member (at the time) Andre. It just would not have been the right move.

A lot of what you mention is because it is currently being tested. Once the more major bug that exist are ironed out, they will be tweaked to a more reasonable rate. Also more features are likely planned, such as durability of weapons. If durability were to be added back it would take a longer time to break down the walls. Also a weigh system is being added that won’t allow players to carry unlimited supplies. Waiting on these sort of additions is part of being in Alpha.

You must have missed the fact a weight bearing system is on the horizon.

SO because realism is difficult to achieve in some aspects it should be thrown out all together? I think that is a bit ridiculous. This comes again to you seemingly not fully comprehending how development works. The issues with base security will be addressed. It has been said many times. Traps, decoys and other methods to secure your base when you are away are planned. Asking for the game to be developed around what hasn’t been implemented yet for the sake of gameplay is not how games should be made.

You didn’t invest in shit. You bought a game that is currently in development. You bet your ass gameplay isn’t a priority. You seem shocked that it isn’t. It is naive of you to think that it should be.

Can’t please everyone.

I gotta agree that legacy was a much better game and bringing experimental up to baseline is taking forever. In legacy it took at least a full day of playing to get fully geared and teched out. In the new version it takes less than an hour. There seems to be no focus on making the gameplay in the new version fun. The combat system in legacy felt good. Fighting in this new version is a joke. The guns are completely inaccurate and melee fighting is terrible. Literally any weapon in the game besides a rock is a one hit kill. Raiding was much better in legacy as well. Going afk while you beat on a wall for 45 minutes isn’t fun.

It just seems like facepunch doesn’t care about making the game enjoyable. Farm then afk for 45 minutes while you craft. Run out naked with a hatchet find a wall and afk for another 45 minutes while you knock it down.

When your primary playtesting group are current and potential future owners of the game, gameplay SHOULD be a priority. Bugs will be found faster, balance can be achieved faster, hacks will be found faster, etc. etc.

They are in trouble if it was an ‘artificial playstyle’ that was based on contrivances, because the ‘pvp as it existed in legacy’ is what made the game fun for a lot of folks.

donkeypunch: you do understand that everything will be balanced when they reach baseline right? as for fighting, I agree with you. but once again, it’s in active development so give it some time.

I trust Facepunch to make good decisions because their ideas (well, most of them) are great. They are pro’s, they know what they’re doing. I think most whiners are impatient. Please keep in mind that you don’t make a game in just a couple of months, it takes some years before it’s all shaped up.

I agree.

Facepunch should focus on making the Experimental a better game. Fix combat, and try to put in some balance so you can build a base and not have it hacked or broken into, or griefed, so easily. If they worked over the next 3 weeks to make Rust 2.0 more playable as a game, that would help a lot.

I am super excited to play experimental and see caves and landmarks and other cool things. I think this will be a great game, but it looks to me like it will be at least 4 months before it is playable as a game on the level of legacy. But I have trust in Facepunch. It is just too bad it is so slow to get Rust 2.0 into a more game-like state. I am only playing legacy at this point - but I have not played it to death yet, like some other people, so I can still enjoy it.

Again this isn’t play testing. It is feature testing. The feedback of those who test out the features is utilized. Balancing will happen when gameplay is addressed.

I don’t think they are in any trouble. The game will be what they make it to be.

A lot of people from the FPS world embraced the legacy paystyle. But don’t be blinded by this. The game was always intended to move past that. Otherwise you just become a strip club that gives away cookies.

I’ve enjoyed tracking the progress of Rust immensely. It’s impossible to please everyone, and that makes me feel very sorry for the devs, as they’re in for a rough ride with responses like these, but this is how development goes. If anything though, progress has picked up significantly, both in terms of speed and efficiency, since they started hiring more staff members. None of it matters to a lot of players, sadly, but again, game development is a rude beast.

To-may-to, to-mah-to.

They did a pretty good job maintaining a decent level of balance and gameplay while developing features during legacy.

Well, no, they won’t be in any trouble, because they’ve already done very well for an early access. But if the PvP is a shadow of what it was in legacy, the game won’t be nearly as popular.

I don’t know what you mean by ‘move past that’. They already have lots of weapons in place and planned. I don’t see any indication, feature-wise or communication-wise, that they intentionally plan on reducing the importance of PvP in the game.

Life is feudal is a much more advanced game than rust anyway. Annoying for the solo player with but a team its 100 times Rust.

Here is my take… I have 900+ hours on Legacy and 200+ hrs on experimental… I enjoy the game I have rented my own popular PVE server…
What I dont like so far are the coded locks that break on server reboot people get stuck in their lvl 6 house and either have to spend 90 min to break down the door or start over… The keyed lock again when server reboots the locks disappear and you cant make any keys… So if you die you are locked in or out of your house… Getting 1000 Ore from 1 rock is a little much should be maybe 100 max to make the game last longer… Right now the console is filled with errors and its been causing my server to crash… But I know its in alpha and called experimental but I wish they would test the new features before they update them or at least fix the bugs… The locks have been an issue for months now where you had to hit it with a hatchet in order to lock or unlock it… the Bone knife has been broken for 2-3 weeks now as well…

I stopped playing totally. Loved Legacy and love the way the new one seems to be heading, but will not play it at all until it’s near release or in Beta. I read the devblog and get my Rust fix living through the photos.

I don’t want to bitch about the rocks giving WAY LESS now than before, or the power of a gun being nerfed. I don’t want to know the small changes in building or “We used to be able to build here without a foundation, I want it back!” In a way, I learned my lesson. Alpha releases are great to really get a feel of the game, but if you play serious, you’ll be disappointed. In this case, the alpha I fell in love with didn’t really even give me a feel, because the experimental seems totally different. It’s more like a whole new game with the same title and creators. I’m a creature of habit, so all the small changes that are improvements to others, do nothing but frustrate me.

I trust Facepunch will make my wait worth it. The ideas and progress they have made so far seems amazing.

I can tell in every one of these rants about the experimental none of the ranters have bothered to visit the “development” drop down menu at the playrust.com website. If you had you would see they are actively pushing updates and making changes several times a day. To be more specific go look their twitter @rustupdates (which is in that development drop down menu).

If you even spent half the time reading about the future of the game and the plans as you did bitching about the game, you’d see there is a lot of things in store to address your ridiculous complaints.

[editline]3rd November 2014[/editline]

See i find it ridiculous people actually bother wasting time to complain about stuff like this, you realize they just released coded locks last Friday? Oh my god a BUG. Believe it or not they aren’t working as intended and you should know that, so complaining about something being broken which will obviously be fixed in the future is just out right stupidity.

Also the amount of resources mined… seriously? How do you NOT know that the amount of resources you gain right now are purposefully not proportional to what it cost to build. This was intended for testing. If you couldn’t get thousands of resources easily then how would they test the servers with massive buildings. They said a long time ago it was this way so that people could experiment with building and test the servers load with huge structures and tons of buildings. Otherwise they would have to wait much longer to even test those kinds of things. They purposefully made things easy to get right now so they can test the game faster… does that no make sense?

In my 10+ years as an artist and designer anyone that talks about all the awesome stuff their project “will be” never finishes it or reaches the goal they set out to meet. Not saying that’s the case here since there is at least an actual playable-ish game currently available, but promises and pipe-dreams don’t excite me as much as a tangible item or product.

You missed the point, the point is people are bitching about things that are obviously either bugs or are put in place for testing purposes.

What you said really makes no sense, the customer base is constantly complaining and asking for information. If you go back far enough one of the biggest complaints the alpha testers had was the lack of communication the developers had and how infrequent updates were. Now we get updates and communication on a daily basis and people find a way to complain about that? It just amazes me what people will whine about. Bottom line is you idiots still don’t seem realize you paid to test a game that is very far away from completion, and the fact that any of you are on the forums indicates you probably already got your moneys worth because you actually took the time to register and post on the forums.