Why you should always do custom shadowing (setlightingorigin)

Without any custom lighting (or even turning off the default bloom) models look godawful and not cinematic/nice in any way.

http://www.mutank.org/shadowing/Untitled_000000.png

Turning off the default bloom gets you this, not bad but we can make it look 10x better.

http://www.mutank.org/shadowing/Untitled_000003.png

Using a seperate lighting origin, you get this. (This was all posed/made in 2 minutes, simple demonstration).

http://www.mutank.org/shadowing/Untitled_000007.png

Alternate angle just for kicks

http://www.mutank.org/shadowing/Untitled_000010.png

Wanna know how to do something like this? This is a good starting point:

The title: no.

No you shouldn’t always do custom shadowing as most of the time, in-game lighting is just fine and dandy.

“Without any custom lighting (or even turning off the default bloom) models look godawful and not cinematic/nice in any way.”

Then you really don’t know how to do lighting well in-game.

that tutorial is terrible, he doesn’t even know you can spawn lamps without ropes lmao

It also skims a lot of bits and pieces from other tutorials. Except whereas they indicate what they’re teaching is a supplement, or perhaps highly situational, he assumes they’re to be always used. Lighting origin should not be set any darker if your subject is already in a dark environment, and even if they’re in bright light it should only be dimmed slightly.

Oh, and never use more than one lamp on a single object unless it’s meant to look like it’s being lit by multiple, powerful sources, and not just lamps on the ceiling. Aside from this single case, use a single, more powerful lamp.

Way to Godwin your own tutorial, by the way.

There is a huge difference between using Photoshop for still images and custom lighting which is a must for good-looking motion video.

Unless of course you want your actors look like oranges as shown in the above screenshot

I… Don’t really think you understood what he meant by that. He’s saying that you have to pick a map with good lighting to begin with, or make a map with “cinematic” lighting in mind. Most of what you explained isn’t even needed in maps with good ambiance and low light.

The screenshots you present actually don’t look very natural at all. Your actor is supposed to be as dim (or bright) as the foreground, and it looks like you matched them to the wall and furniture a good seven feet away. And while the first one was very bright, if the bloom had been a more natural color, it would have looked better. Bloom isn’t the enemy here, it’s the color the bloom takes on. Combine smartly compiled map lighting, modified color correction and bloom tones and you have a very good-looking character with almost no effort and no messing with console.

I guess what I’m saying is… Learn to use the simpler aspects before you start messing with higher level techniques like lighting origin.

Ok I think you’re really overanalyzing the situation.

I posted saying “(This was all posed/made in 2 minutes, simple demonstration).” this was a quick example of how using lighting origins can help making images/videos look much better.

But even then you still didn’t use them correctly. And even if you had, you could have used one of a few other tools to make the task quicker and easier. Advanced Lamp, for example. They have no physics and are spawned without a rope, and can be cranked up to 10 times normal brightness with on-the-fly adjustment of NearZ/FarZ. More power means fewer lamps to spawn, saving even more time.

Listen, I understand you made the tutorial to teach people how to use this interesting feature, and that’s a good thing, but you shouldn’t treat it as if it’s mandatory to make something look good, it’s absolutely not true. I find things like that nearly as annoying as people who insist on the inappropriate overuse of bloom or extreme DoF. What you teach in your video is a situational fix for projected textures washing out the color of a model or making it too bright. Almost any other problem aside from that can be fixed with not even a five minute tinker-job in color correction.

I still think you’re going a bit too far. The video I posted was an old example on how to do this in Garry’s Mod version 12. Version 13 (with addons) can use the Advanced Lamp stool to make life x10 easier and much better.

Still. You never have to use more than one lamp unless you’re going for like, stadium lighting or something. They don’t line up and it looks… Off. Just pick a map with more balanced ambient light.

To get what you’re aiming for is really experimentation.