Will sbox be steam only?

Will steam ids be a user’s global identifier?
Will addons/gamemodes be hosted on the steam workshop?

1 Like
  1. Yes
  2. No
1 Like

yes
no
possibly
maybe
we are unsure

1 Like

Has there been any kind of signs that Sbox wont use the workshop?

1 Like

Garry confirmed that he will work on a system for paid addons, unless he works with Valve directly then that won’t be possible on the normal workshop.
EDIT: I probably misremembered, he thought about it but we can’t say he confirmed anything until we reach that phase.

2 Likes

these might be kinda outdated now, but from what I remember this was the latest time he mentioned where addons would be hosted:

Conversation starts here on FP’s Discord

Its important to remember nothing is set in stone for now, these are just thoughts

2 Likes

he confirmed that?
the only thing I can find related to that is this:

Which is far from a confirmation.

1 Like

he didn’t think about that now

2 Likes

There’s been quite a bit of talk about having a way for developers to be paid either directly through facepunch or through other places like the steam workshop. While we haven’t heard any kind of confirmation one way or another it’s safe to say that there is some kind of push being made in this direction.

3 Likes
  1. most likely
  2. most likely
18 Likes

@dj-34 FAQ

2 Likes

Wasn’t there a way to spoof one’s steamid? I mean, you probably had your identity stolen a lot of times just for the achievement. (Not that I’m innocent myself, it’s the only one I cheated in)

2 Likes

Already got it

2 Likes

yes
garry literally saying he won’t use it

edit cvuz im retearded: nvm im too lazy to read up and saw garry replied

1 Like

Garry joked about re-uploading any paid addons people make for free
he seems pretty against that stuff

1 Like

I’m sure garry said that as a joke, considering the discussion that was occurring at the time.
2020-12-03 19_17_48-#sbox-general - Discord
2020-12-03 19_18_05-#sbox-general - Discord
2020-12-03 19_18_18-#sbox-general - Discord
2020-12-03 19_16_28-#sbox-general - Discord

3 Likes

though a joke, I find the thought of a dev team selling access to a framework or gamemode only to be one-upped by garry very humorous

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure he’s implying that there’s lots of paid software without any worthwhile free alternatives, and that there’s no reason why the same couldn’t apply to addons. If the scripts, assets and/or maps in a paid addon are of good quality and difficult or time-consuming to create, most people will likely be unwilling or unable to recreate something that can compete with the original.

If a paid addon is simple enough to be remade in a day or two, then that’ll obviously happen - but maybe that’s also a sign that the addon shouldn’t have had a price tag attached to it in the first place.

2 Likes

FuckWit’s Invetory System
BubbleHead45’s Weed System
Ku6Ku9Kan’s F4 Menu
LaitSwitch’s Admin Tools
CunTreal’s Food Stand
MiXRa7’s Money Printers

Pick your poison

2 Likes

I’m not sure if that was something Garry themselves were saying they would do, considering the context. However remaking paid addons with a better free alternative is something I’ll probably end up doing.

The entire thing depends on how the community acts and treats creators in those instances. The people who are active on the forums represent a more mature subset of creators excited for s&box, but considering posts have already had to be removed, well…

1 Like