Woke up to hard drive thrashing sounds, turns out Rust is stuck in infinite "validating" cycle on Steam?

Rust decided sometime last night to run a validation on it’s files, and every time it completes, it just starts back up again, resulting in non-stop thrashing on my mechanical hard drive. I’ve had to “pause” the validation in Steam to get this to stop, for now.

I don’t know if anyone else is having this problem, it’s the first time I’ve seen it happen.

EDIT: When trying to start the game, it’s telling me my game files are corrupt now. Manual validation identifies 158 damaged/missing files. Steam will not download these files, it only continues the 0%-100% validation cycle over and over again. Only option is to waste time and bandwidth trying to delete and reinstall this now.

yep

[editline]22nd October 2014[/editline]

Got it just need to update your flash drive. Than restart steam.

restarting steam helps.

Huh? I don’t use a flash drive nor have I ever updated one…

I found a fix to the problem here: http://forum.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1432602

Not only did I need to delete local game content, but also delete the folder that rust is installed in (steamapps/common/rust) and then re-download/install the game after that and it’s running fine with the new update (283)

Aye indeed I’ve had to do that once or twice.