[Workaround] Steam client and/or Webclient stuck at "Loading" screen

This will solve only ONE problem at the loading screen. If this fix doesn’t work for you, then check the log files to see if there is another problem occurring that is to do with the connection itself.

So this fix won’t work FOREVER because Garry will eventually take down the webclient. However, here is the fix:

1. Open up the client (for the webclient, open the browser you want to use), we will call this the “play” client
  2. Open up a web browser (if you are using Chrome for step 1, open up Firefox, and vice versa, if you are using the Steam client then Chrome or Firefox will work choose whichever one you want) and make sure that it’s cache for PlayRust.com is clear (you will be wanting to have to redownload the packages), we will call this the “dummy” client.
  3. Go to the server list for both clients.
  4. With your “dummy” client from step 2, click on whichever server you want to join and let the Unity webclient start up and start downloading the Rust packages
  5. With the “play” client you want to play in, click on the same server which you clicked on in step 4
  6. Wait for your “play” client to load up and get in game, then close the “dummy” client.

This should fix your problem. What the problem ends up being is that ONCE you have downloaded the Rust packages and go to “connect”, the game client opens up a socket but the connection gets terminated at some level but the game fails to realize the connection is gone.

By using a “dummy” client that redownloads all the packages, it maintains the connection which allows the “play” client to piggyback data through the connection until it has loaded into the server, at which point the “play” client’s connection is stable and won’t hang up on its own. That is when you can close the “dummy” client (which cancels the download of the Rust package into the dummy browser).

I am not really sure why this type of problem occurs but it happens in a LOT of places around the internet. I am not sure how to solve the issue as I don’t do internet programming at the application level well enough to know. Hopefully Garry has a better solution or can fix it but this is a work around for those who have had this issue.

Didn’t work for me but thanks for the effort :slight_smile:

Check the log file then. It should say the following:

SocketPolicyClient1: Incoming GetPolicyStreamForIP
SocketPolicyClient1: About to BeginConnect to [server IP address]
SocketPolicyClient1: About to WaitOne
SocketPolicyClient1: Socket connected

If you get that far, you are most likely getting a connection drop, if not then you have a different problem. You can confirm this with a bandwidth monitor that would show data going up and down, then when you start to “connect”, both go dead (most easily noted by the upload rate dropping to near zero).

I have a similar issue. Hangs at the loading screen, and I’m guessing the relevant part of my log is this:

Shader 'Diffuse': fallback shader 'VertexLit' not found
Shader 'Hidden/UniSky Clouds Nominal': fallback shader 'Cumulus Perlin Layer SM2' not found
Shader 'Hidden/UniSky Clouds Rain': fallback shader 'Rain Clouds Layer SM2' not found
The referenced script on this Behaviour is missing!

(Filename:  Line: 1657)

Instantiator for prefab 'barrel_A1_01' already exists

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/ea95e74f6e5f192d/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

Unloading 4 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 39 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 32303 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 9007.
Total: 34.144310 ms (FindLiveObjects: 1.708653 ms CreateObjectMapping: 4.841138 ms MarkObjects: 3.254986 ms  DeleteObjects: 23.998022 ms)

Steam Init

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/ea95e74f6e5f192d/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

Not recognized as a resolution "Match"

GameUI Loaded

UnloadTime: 3.703511 ms
Could not locate a IContextRequestable! -- destroying self.(component)

Unloading 1 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 39 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 103 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 9941.
Total: 10.971440 ms (FindLiveObjects: 0.491663 ms CreateObjectMapping: 1.674640 ms MarkObjects: 8.001828 ms  DeleteObjects: 0.308326 ms)

> net.connect 31.215.205.103:28030

Connecting to 31.215.205.103:28030

Platform assembly: S:\Steam\steamapps\common\rust\rust_Data\Managed\System.Configuration.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: S:\Steam\steamapps\common\rust\rust_Data\Managed\System.Xml.dll (this message is harmless)
Connecting to server..

Connection Failed!

ConnectionFailed

uLink got error: ConnectionFailed

UnloadTime: 3.415647 ms
Could not locate a IContextRequestable! -- destroying self.(component)

Unloading 2 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 39 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 11 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 10277.
Total: 14.433545 ms (FindLiveObjects: 0.425296 ms CreateObjectMapping: 1.624866 ms MarkObjects: 11.780279 ms  DeleteObjects: 0.084616 ms)

I’m sorry about the spam, I just hope to give the the information you need to help me out here :).

Regards,
Montaron

That looks more like a firewall problem but I could be wrong.

BTW, that log I listed is for the Webplayer only. The steam version is different. I’ll try and get a log for that one.

I agree that it looks somewhat like a FW-problem, but I’m not really sitting behind a very strict FW-ruleset. Anyways, I managed to get around it by swapping to another (my backup) set of public IP addresses. Being a network engineer FINALLY pays off!

This could be a FW-issue at the other end though, is this server behind some strict FW? I can ping it and all, I just can’t connect for some reason (from my primary IP address, that is).

I know the webclient is down, I’m getting a different issue anyway, can anyone here help me out? http://postimg.org/image/tf6nhfhsb/

Could a mod close this thread, as the webplayer has been removed and so this is no longer applicable.

P.S. I can’t connect now. :’(