XSI Multiple Texture Problem

Since other people here use XSI Mod Tool, I figured I’d ask, as I’m sure others have probably run into this problem too.

I have this model, made of multiple geomety:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/300happy/th_Geometry-of-Cart.jpg

As you can see, each piece of the cart is seperate, broken down into primitives. They all use the same texture image, but have different UV projections to display different parts of the cart.

Texture editor, with all geometry selected:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/300happy/th_MultipleUVprojections.jpg

Here is my problem. When I export the model into a format, I either get a corrupt file(in the case of .x or .3ds), or in the case of a .fbx, I get the following error:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/300happy/th_FBXExportError.jpg

This results in an .fbx file that won’t open in anything I try to open it in, probably because it’s corrupted or incomplete.

For reference, the object tree is a lot like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/300happy/th_ExampleOfGeometryLayout.jpg

With each object having a seperate UV projection (called the unimaginative Texture_Projection2), and the objects all parented to the base of the cart.

I’ve hit all three “Freeze” commands, the one in the texture editor, and both modeling freeze buttons(the freeze model and freeze all modeling just for good measure).

Does anyone have some ideas what might be going wrong in the export? I’m shooting in the dark now, as I’ve never done an object with multiple UV projections, and don’t know how to combine their info so they can export properly.

You just need to merge the meshes together into one object, just remember to merge UV data as well.

Thanks Master Chris. I knew there must be some way to do it, I just didn’t know how to do it with Softimage. Being a Truespace user(with version 3.2 at that), I’m having to learn all the terms for doing things in 3d all over again. :wink:

My computer is defragging. (haven’t done so in like, a year, and installed a ton of stuff, got the dreaded “windows XP is restoring files in sector blablabla” error of doom on bootup today.) Once I can get back into softimage, I’ll look for this merge option and let you all know if it works.

Thanks again! :slight_smile:

I’ve tried using multiple materials on different objects , and then using merge meshes > merge Uvs , but it won’t export. XSI has something about multiple materials it doesn’t like.

I’m an XSI User too.

Never had a problem with this ( error is also showing up for me ),
just ignore the error and import the *.fbx in, for example, 3D-Max
somtimes you have to apply the textures with the material editor
and everything except the smoothing groups are fine.

http://img5.imagebanana.com/img/62lkb5h/thumb/xsi.png

http://img5.imagebanana.com/img/exmrr4x/thumb/settings.PNG

http://img5.imagebanana.com/img/qjitetvd/thumb/max.png

Merging all the geometry and the UV did the trick for the cart. Thanks again!

The solution Pac_187 posted won’t work for me, because XSI is the only program I have capable of texture mapping. The texture mapping is actually why I’m using XSI in the first place. I do have Milkshape, but I haven’t found a way to access the UV coordinates in that program(I don’t think there is one, actually, just a reassign textures tool. It’s really more of an import/export different formats program in my opinion.)

So unfortunetly, with just XSI, it seems you are limited to one material per object. I do believe you can use the technique in this tutorial to “bake” a single texture file, thus preserving the material settings in some form at least, but it won’t be true “material” support as it will then be baked into the texture itself(along with all the lighting and whatever else you ask for it to bake).

At about 6:45 or so, he demonstrates the tool. My XSI isn’t in mod tool mode(I like the shiny other buttons too), so I had to use the XSI manual and the tutorial to figure out what was going on. Basically you can process your XSI model in the scene to create a texture file with whatever shiny/metal/ect effects and backlighting your XSI scene contains. Like I said above though, it’s then imbedded in the texture file, which is good for file size and games, but bad for if you are using another tool and need access to the actual material settings after export.

It also takes an ungodly amount of time as it needs to basically rerender to texture every piece of geometry on your model, so you might want to process it over a coffee break. :wink:

Edit:

After opening my cart in Milkshape, I’ve discovered that Merging things also, as I sort of suspected, gets rid of all unique names for the objects. I have found a work around for this, but it is a bit messy and a hassle to do. First, save your model, cause you’ll need to time warp. Basically, you merge one part at a time. In my case, the geometry of a wheel was one group. Then you select the merged object and export only the selection to fbx.

You can probably see where this is going. Revert the file(reload it, don’t save), so you’ve got your unmerged geometry again(you can probably undo as well to do this, but I’m not sure if undo will remove the file, as saving files is stored in the undo list. I always just reload the file.). Grab the next part of the model. Rinse, repeat.

Once you are in the program of choice, import the models one at a time. Fbx preserves positions of objects in 3d space, so all your groups will pop back into place properly. Best of all, they are still “seperate” models, so you can still rename different parts of the models different things.

It’s certainly not perfect, but since we have no way to export multiple objects without other programs, it’ll have to do.

You can use multiple textures in XSI.
Every object can have it’s own texture.

You just have to remember to merge the UVs/Weightmap/etc. when merging the objects together to a single one.

http://img5.imagebanana.com/img/f1ulwy7z/thumb/merge.jpg

Merging all the stuff together should be your very last step after placing/assigning the bones/textures!
And always remember to merge the UV’s and Animations too, via the shown buttons, otherwise they’ll get lost.

So no need to render everything to a single texture :wink:

Good to know there isn’t a need to keep all the textures in one file. That can come in handy sometimes when you’ve got lots of models with the same wheels/guns/ect, and you only want to use one texture file for them all while using unique files for the actual cars/people. :slight_smile:

I haven’t found a good way to keep object names however. Merging the geomety makes you lose all the names you’ve given the objects. It makes sense this happens, since you’re making it all into one polymesh after all, but it does make working with engines that expect certain naming conventions a bit more tedious. I wish there was a way to keep the “groups” of objects that I worked so hard to keep named straight in the first place.

Trackmania, for example, expects all the car geometry to be in one 3ds file, but uses the object names like “LF_wheel” to determine what parts of the geometry are what. With a game engine like that, I found the only solution was to make lots of different copies of my merged objects, saving each group out seperately, and then using a third party program to rename them and piece them back into one 3ds file.

If anyone has a workaround for this, it would be very useful, but unfortunetly I doubt there is one unless we use the full, non-free version of Softimage. The problem lies in XSI Mod Tool’s inability to export multiple meshes.

You can. Select the polies of a certain area you want (lets say the wheels of a car) and right click then select Create Cluster. Your clusters will appear in the explorer in a folder called ‘Clusters’ under ‘Polygon Mesh’, they will be listed there and you can rename and select them. When you select a cluster that will select all of the polygons automatically and you can do what you want with them.

I don’t know if it will work exactly in the way you need but give it a try.

This works to select and name them in XSI, but unfortunetly isn’t the same on export as exporting multiple objects in the first place. IE: If I grab this sort of setup as a .obj or .fbx, the groups are not “seperate objects”, preventing the game engine converter from recognizing it. What I need is similar to how bones are supposed to be named different things for Source Engine to find it when compiling the skeleton. Unfortunetly, besides saving the files out as Source Engine models, I haven’t been able to export a proper object tree to other apps.

Every single one of my train models was done in XSI. Every single one of them has at least six textures (lol). They all work fine.

Glad you figured it out :biggrin: