Yet another compile error

Hey again,
Sorry for posting so many help topics. once i get it i wont need it again… Not only that other people will google it and find these posts straight away…

So anyway, heres my problem…

I’ve finaly modeled succesfuly! I have my model in garrysmod, i spawn it and guess what… No textures (Apart from the pink and black checkers)

My QC points it in the right directory but my images aren’t put into VTF form… So what do i do? Put them in vtf form and just move them to the materials folder i want them to be in, or reconfigure my qc and compile again to get them into VTF and automaticly in the folder they need to be in!?

You answered your own question /thread.

This is a different problem… It’s to do with textures not compiling.
My models are in game but they aren’t textured :frowning:

Yea put them in VTF form using this: http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?c=178

You will also need to make a VMT for each of them.

Okay, i’ve done that and put them in my materials folder… will it work now? I’ll check but it seems a bit sketchy

You’ll also need .vmt files that have the same name as the textures, that point to the texture.

They need to be like this though:

"VertexLitGeneric"
{
	"$baseTexture" "(texture path not including "materials")/(texture name excluding .vtf)"
}

As the lightmappedgeneric shown in that article isn’t supported in GMod (or at least thats what all the tutorials I found originally said).

:S! This makes no sense, can someone do a step by step tutorial of getting the textures on my models!

Open VTFEdit, click import (under file), find your texture (one at a time or you’ll end up with an animated slideshow :P), save it named as what the model is looking for (usually the same name as the original). For the VMT you need to put something like this into a txt file:

"VertexLitGeneric"
{
	"$baseTexture" "model/mymodel"
}

The path shown after “$base texture” must be that of the VTF above (including its name) once it has been put in the same file the original was in (then that file must be put in a file called materials). Once you’ve wrote that out in thetext editor save it as the name of the texture.vmt (making sure to save it as “all file types” not “text file” if your using notepad). Then it should be set up to work.

I’m not sure about how you code stuff like phong and envmaps into a vmt but i’m sure there’ll be tutorials somewhere. If you want to put a normal map its this:

"VertexLitGeneric"
{
	"$baseTexture" "model/mymodel"
                "$bumpmap" "model/mymodel_normal"
}

I think thats right, mymodel_normal is the name of the normalmap VTF file. I’m not that good at writing things that are easy to understand. If your still not sure try opening some other VMT and VTF files in VTFEdit and see how theere set out thats how I learned.