Yet Another Startup Crash Thread (no Error Message)

Garrymod crashes on startup, as the title says. It starts up okay, I see the background of the civilian and the crows, then a little blue bar on the bottom appears with some text in it, stating what its loading and what not, then the window suddenly closes with no error message, like nothing had happened.

What I’ve tried:
the -dxlevel 81/80/70
Trying it in window mode and in fullscreen
Doing the garrysmod cleanup trick, even though it was a fresh install
Reinstalling gmod
Updating all CS:S and HL2: Lost Coast games
A few varying launch option commands that I don’t recall

All of the above did not work except for -dxlevel 70, which got me to the main menu and single player, but there were obviously some graphical issues, including not being able to see fire, no main menu background, and any drop-down menus would also make the menu behind it go blank. If there is a better solution, I can always fall back on it and live with the defects, but I would much rather be able to navigate menus and tell when a gas barrel is on fire (and who knows what other graphical errors).

Before I tell you my specs, I am fully aware that the graphics are built in and that this laptop was not made to play games specifically. This was my mom’s $1000 laptop that is faster than my 7 year old desktop computer (which had the same problem with GM since about a year ago I guess), and that is very sad on my part, but it runs HL2 alright and I figured it would also play Gmod too.

Specs:
Computer Model: Hp Pavilion dv1660se
CPU: Intel Core Duo T2300 @ 1.66 GHz
Graphics: Mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family
RAM: 512MB Infineon Single-Channel DDR2 @ 266MHz 4-4-4-12

If you need any more info on my computer, I’ll provide, this was just a rough outline of everything I thought was relevant.

Edit:
The game crashes when that blue bar I spoke of says “Rendering Targets” or something like that.

Your computer is too low-tech for GMod. You’ll need to upgrade.

My older computer could even run gmod, why is it that suddenly neither my old one nor this newer laptop can play it now? Was there some kind of drastic source engine upgrade? It’s kind of lame that I buy all these games and then suddenly gmod no longer works when it once did. It IS only 10 bucks but come on.

In any case, I’m not all that computer savvy hardware-wise. Is it possible for me to upgrade my laptop to something a bit more powerful? I was never sure since laptops are so compact and I would figure finding upgraded parts would be very difficult.

Also, is it a specific part of my laptop (CPU, graphics, ram) that is under par? If you could let me know I’d greatly appreciate it!

As said in the steam page for Garry’s Mod:

1.Your RAM meets the minimum requirements, but GMod is still going to take much more space than that. If it doesn’t crash on startup, eventually the computer will lock up.
2.Your processor speed is way too low! 1.66 GHz is below minimum to play GMod.

I can’t give you any solution, whether to buy a better laptop or to upgrade it. If you’re too lazy but still want to play GMod, then just live with what your configurations are.

Short Answer: Your graphics card can’t handle Garry’s Mod.

Long Answer: Intel Graphics and the Orange Box Engine (which Garry’s Mod runs on) DO NOT get along. Sure, it may have worked fine before, but it doesn’t now. Since this is a laptop, you’re going to have to buy a new laptop to fix it. I’d ask what laptops they have that DON’T have Intel Graphics when you’re out shopping, but if that fails, you could probably just get a recent Dell model or something.

Well I can’t say I’m surprised. Though this is even more humiliating for me due to our school laptops (macbooks). Although we’re not allowed to tamper with them, we got it so that nearly every laptop in the school had COD4 on it using crossover games, and I managed to get Gmod running on it too. It wasn’t spectacular graphics or anything, but it ran without graphical errors. It sucks that this laptop lost to a mac :/, but by just barely. Those computers were newer anyway.

Thanks for the help. I don’t think I’ll be upgrading to a new laptop anytime soon so I guess GMod is once again beyond reach. A shame, but I’ll live. On the bright side, this lappy still beats my desktop computer by nearly all aspects. Mysteriously, it has a 2.66 GHz processor 512MB of Ram and an ATI graphics card (built in, due to every other graphics card I ever put in destroying not only itself but one or more other vital parts of the machine with it), but it’s still slower in and out of games. I’ll take your advice into consideration should I decide to get a gaming laptop.