z0rcery development jerkoff thread [hey y'all!]

I’ve been slowly piecing this gamemode back together. I abandoned it like a year or more ago.

What is it

It’s a combination of Baldur’s Gate and a FPS. Maybe it’s somewhat like multiplayer oblivion… I haven’t played oblivion that much but i can tell you that the melee system is similar!

Fuck you i hate reading

Come join the beta test server:

216.245.199.179:27016

Content pack:

http://www.garrysmod.org/img/?t=dll&id=126384

Features

• Critical Hits: Very similar to TF2’s crits in terms of rarity. Certain spells and abilities increase your critical hit chances.
  • Saving throws: Not as robust as the saving throws from D&D since there’s only one generic category for saving throws. Certain spells will have different effects depending on whether you make a successful saving throw. Some spells may be negated, others will have their effects halved.
  • YOUR A WIZERD HARREY: Lots and lots of spells planned. There are only 2 spellcasting classes (mage for offensive, cleric for defensive) but you will be able to specialize greatly with the amount of spells i have planned. For example, you could be a necromancer cleric who specializes in bringing teammates back from the dead, or a healer who focuses mainly on casting protective buffs and healing spells. There are 3 tiers of spells, and you only have 10 points to spend on the spells you pick. For example, i could pick a first tier spell and 3 third tier spells, or choose 5 second tier spells.
  • Buffing: I’m not talking shit when i say you can buff people. I’ve already added support for damage multipliers, attack speed multipliers, crit chance modifiers, armor modifiers, saving throw modifiers and more.
  • Abilities: There are 3 non-spellcasting classes (archer, warrior and rogue) and each has its own customizable skillset. You can pick 3 skills. Again, you can create subclasses with the system i have in place. You could be a stealthy rogue who is capable of hiding in the shadows and striking opponents down from behind, or you could be a more agile rogue capable of leaping to high places and attacking in rapid succession.
  • Cool weapons: The rogue and warrior class both have melee weapons. Melee is more than simply point and click though. Opponents can block your attacks and i’m planning some more cool [del]gimmicks[/del] techniques. If you deal more than 100 damage in the killing blow to your enemy, they will explode into a glorious shower of gibs (and conveniently cannot be resurrected). The archer bow is very similar to the TF2 sniper bow. Charge it too quickly and you’ll deal hardly any damage. Charge it to maximum and land a headshot and you’ve got an instant kill on any class.
  • D&D style stat announcement system. Uses the chatbox which may be good or bad depending on how you view it.
  • Animations: Using JetBoom’s cool animation API. Wizards have spellcasting animations and warriors will have weapon swing animations.

Gametypes

Currently i am working on a simple arena-style game. 2 teams in an arena duking it out, the last team alive wins. You can spectate and bet on which team will win as well.

I’m sure i could make more gamemodes for this as well… But for now arena will do.

A List Of Completed Spells/Abilities

Note that you can only have 3 skills selected at any time.

Archer (I need more ideas for this class!):

• Bulwark: You gain a permanent 20% damage reduction bonus.
  • Withdraw: Your backwards movement speed is increased but your strafe speed is slowed.
  • Farsight: You are capable of zooming in with your crossbow.
  • True Sight: You have crosshairs on your HUD.

Rogue:

• Catlike Grace: Fall damage reduces by 70%
  • Backstab: You gain +150% damage from behind, but lose -50% damage to the front for your attacks.
  • Chameleon: You slowly blend into your surroundings when crouched.
  • Slither: You move 40% faster when crouched.
  • Airwalk: You are able to leap great distances.
  • Reticence: Your footsteps are silent.
  • Featherweight: You move faster but are slightly weaker.
  • Nimble Hands: You gain a permanent 20% attack speed bonus.

Berzerker/Warrior:

• Bull’s Strength: You gain a permanent 10% damage bonus.
  • Stampede: Every 15 seconds you can sprint at a quick pace and deal +50% damage for 3 seconds. You cannot strafe while sprinting. (Lol demoknight much???)
  • Fortuity: You have a horseshoe up your ass and crits seem to happen more frequently for you.
  • Absorption: You gain a small amount of health for each kill you make.
  • Blood Rage: You gain a +75% damage bonus for 3 seconds when you dismember an enemy.
  • Adrenaline: Your move speed is initially crippled but after 2 kills you move faster than normal.
  • Weapon Aptitude: You gain a permanent 20% attack speed bonus.

U can be a shitmagician too

Cleric:

Tier 1

• Heal Light Wounds: Heal 50 hp to yourself or a targeted friend.
  • Healing Aura: Heal 25 hp to yourself and surrounding allies.

Tier 2

• Heal Moderate Wounds: Heal 100 hp on yourself/friend.
  • Healing Circle: Heal 50 hp to yourself and surrounding allies.
  • Bless: Buff to Saving throws for yourself and surrounding allies.
  • Haste: Nearby friends have their attack speed and move speed increased for 35 seconds.
  • Courage: Nearby friends have their attack damage and damage resistance increased for 35 seconds.

Tier 3

• Mass Heal: Heal 75 hp to yourself and surrounding allies.
  • Heal Serious Wounds: Heal 200 hp on yourself/friend.
  • Consecration: Buff to Saving throws for yourself and surrounding allies.
  • Alacrity: Nearby friends have their attack speed and move speed increased for 35 seconds.
  • Fortitude: Nearby friends have their attack damage and damage resistance increased for 35 seconds.

Mage:

Tier 1

• Whirlwind: Hurl nearby enemies away from you and into the air.

Tier 2

• Bane: nearby enemies have their saving throws decreased for 35 seconds.
  • Weakness: nearby enemies have their attack damage and damage resistance decreased for 35 seconds.
  • Slow: nearby enemies have their attacking speed and move speed decreased for 35 seconds.

Tier 3

• Curse: nearby enemies have their saving throws greatly decreased for 35 seconds.
  • Frailty: nearby enemies have their attack damage and damage resistance greatly decreased for 35 seconds.
  • Burden: nearby enemies have their attacking speed and move speed greatly decreased for 35 seconds.

Screens

[img_thumb]http://i.imgur.com/Rx6sc.png[/img_thumb][img_thumb]http://i.imgur.com/05WCg.jpg[/img_thumb]
[img_thumb]http://i.imgur.com/HBeZP.jpg[/img_thumb][img_thumb]http://i.imgur.com/bwyI9.jpg[/img_thumb]

Help Me

I need ideas for spells and abilities. Definitely need ideas for the archer class.

I also need icons for fucking everything which is going to blow serious dick. I literally need an icon for each ability and spell.

I’m also trying to find the spell casting sound effects from baldur’s gate/icewind dale. I’m talking about all the cast sound effects as well as the wizard voiceovers.

I also need weapon models but i plan to make them myself. If anyone wants to pitch in and help skin them i’ll post the UV map when the time comes.

Codan Gaems

Making abilities and spells is easy, here’s how i do it.

local ABILITY = {}

ABILITY.Name = "Absorption"
ABILITY.Desc = "You regain a small amount of health for each person you kill."
ABILITY.Type = ABILITY_BERZERKER
ABILITY.Icon = "models/effects/splodearc_sheet"

function ABILITY:OnKill( ply, victim, dmginfo )

ply:AddHealth( 25 )
	GAMEMODE:LogEvent( { ply, " absorbed ", 25, " health" } )

end

function ABILITY:OnBrutalKill( ply, victim, dmginfo )

ply:AddHealth( 35 )
	GAMEMODE:LogEvent( { ply, " absorbed ", 35, " health" } )

end

ability.Register( ABILITY )

Lots of progress made.

My first attempt at a radial spell select menu for clerics/mages. Ugly but functional. I need spell icons.
[img_thumb]http://i.imgur.com/1yY5e.jpg[/img_thumb]

Spellcasting has functional player animations and also a simple placeholder effect for casting. The effect is invisible to the casting player since it gets in your face and is annoying. I’ll need to make a clientside casting progress bar thing.
[img_thumb]http://i.imgur.com/uZPws.jpg[/img_thumb]

Yeah using the chat box for gamemode notices is a shit idea. F*ck.
[img_thumb]http://i.imgur.com/HuyYw.jpg[/img_thumb]

This looks fucking awesome. I’m gonna shove the owl in my arse.

Blocking works perfect now. And it’s not some shitty blocking system either. As long as you’re holding down your block key, you are blocking. There’s even a spiffy stance animation for blocking.

Also added in the team color circles.

[img_thumb]http://i.imgur.com/WTTfy.jpg[/img_thumb]

You should redesign the things you see. (HUD, Vgui/derma skin)
Make sure you stick to one theme that fits the idea of your game mode. How your game mode looks is important, because it will define the feeling players have when they play.

if people give enough of a shit about the vgui then someone can make me a skin for it. i personally don’t care as long as it’s functional.

the vgui plays a very small role in the gameplay.

that said, i’m pretty sure this gamemode is ready for beta testing. I’ll post an IP when the server goes up.

He does have a point, the hud can really sells. Take nexus/openaura/clockwork/kuroscript for example, the hud and gui is beautiful which is why he’s able to sell it at $300 a pop. Not saying you’ll be selling your gamemode, but if you want more players a nice hud is definitely important.

So far everything looks WONDERFUL however. :slight_smile:

I try to make the HUD look good, it’s the vgui i really don’t give a shit about. With the new gmod update around the corner we’ll have gwen replacing derma anyhow so i don’t feel like fancying up something that’s gonna become obsolete.

I’ve coded the next feature: Active spell/ability icons. All effects currently on your player will be displayed on the left hand side.

For example, the chameleon perk for the rogue will show its active ability icon on the HUD only when you’re crouched and invisible. If you enter blood rage mode as a berzerker, its icon will appear there too. If a cleric casts a bunch of buff spells (or if a mage casts debuff spells) then they will show up there as well (and disappear when the buff wears off).

[img_thumb]http://i.imgur.com/FX2nf.jpg[/img_thumb]

Those icons are placeholders since i don’t have any god damned spell/ability icons yet. Not sure if i wanna make my own or just use some icon pack from baldurs gate/icewind dale.

I’m thinking of moving them to the right hand side since they interfere with chat otherwise.

ALSO i am stupified that there aren’t more Ideas Guys here posting spell ideas. God knows i need a few. Here’s my brainstorm text file i made a while back, some of the spells on it are already coded and others probably won’t make the cut.

CLERIC SPELLS - buffs and defense

LVL 1

aegis - spawn protective wall with 100hp - die when hp run out
minor heal aura - heal aoe for 25hp
heal minor wounds - heal self or target for 50 hp
luck - give aoe +1 save throws for 30s
cure poison - cure poisons in target and heal 10hp
banishment - banish all spawned enemies in aoe

LVL 2

regeneration - slowly regenerate health until maxed - on damage, remove spell
freedom - unfreeze target, protect target from freezing for 30s
purge - reset saving throws to 0 if negative, also cure poison and heal 20hp
haste - give aoe +speed for 30s
heal moderate wounds - heal self or target for 75hp
blessing - give aoe +2 save throws for 45s
med heal aura - heal aoe for 50hp
resurrect - bring back fallen teammate from the dead - spawn them with 10hp - does not work on uberraped teammate

LVL 3

alacrity - give aoe +speed, +rof for 45s
heal serious wounds - heal self or target for 100 hp
holy consecration - give aoe +3 to saving throws for 60s
max heal aura - heal aoe for 75hp
spellshield - protect target from all forms of magic for 30s
planar shift - target immune to all physical damage for 30s
rebirth - bring back fallen teammate from the dead - spawn them with 1/2 hp

MAGE SPELLS - antibuffs and offense

LVL 1

static charge - fire electric bolt at target - save for half damage
soul trap - fire beam that does 20 dmg, spawn pzombie on kill
gust - cause aoe to be launched outward, deal 10 dmg
blindness - cause blurred vision for 20s on target
omen - cause temp loss of 1 sav throw to aoe
poison - cause 100 dmg to target over course of 60s - save for half poison
conjure fire - create a fire at the eyepos for 10s

LVL 2

shadow spawn - spawn shadow to aid team for 45 sec - only hurt by magic
slow - give aoe -speed
curse - cause temp loss of 2 sav throw to aoe
tremor - cause a semi-straight line of jagged rocks to jump out of ground
dimension door - teleport
entangle - hold target in place for 45s - save negates
acid fog - drain 2 hp per second from enemies in aoe
thorn spray - cone of thorns fire from hands

LVL 3

petrify - freeze target for 30s - save negates - on death create cloud of rock debris
sunfire - cause column of fire to strike target - blind if no save
burden - give aoe -speed, -rof
unholy malediction - cause temp loss of 3 sav throw to aoe
storm - create storm with random lightning strikes for 30s 
fireball - fire exploding fireball - arcing
slay - slay any living creature permanently - gibbed - save for 1/2 health removed

This is looking pretty good so far. I remember enjoying Baldur’s Gate quite a lot.

You are wrong there. The looks of the game mode play one of the biggest roles.

I have to agree to NewBee, but else, the gamemode seems to sound nice, and it’d be nice seeing it sometimes. But again, the look is a big thing in a gamemode.

Okay let’s put it this way: would you rather i focus on gameplay or looks? When it comes straight down to it, the meat and potatoes of any gamemode is the gameplay. Some of the most fun gamemodes in gmod9 had shitty UIs but that didn’t stop people from enjoying them.

What i’m getting at is gameplay > aesthetics. And right now there’s a lot of gameplay to work on.

A game mode might have incredibly good ideas but without good looks it’s not going to take off.

[editline]30th October 2011[/editline]

It doesn’t even have to look good, it just needs to look appealing.

Yes, i’m not refuting that but in order for people to enjoy a game it needs to be fun, first and foremost. When you build a car you don’t put the paint on first, you set up the engine and assemble it.

When i’ve got all the gameplay in order i’ll probably go and make the menus look like parchment or something like this:

[img_thumb]http://i.imgur.com/XLbuN.jpg[/img_thumb]

[editline]30th October 2011[/editline]

Yeah my icons are awful. Fckin sht. I need an art person

[img_thumb]http://i.imgur.com/pSIQL.jpg[/img_thumb]

Fantastic then, carry on.

Oh shit, i just found the motherload.

http://wowprogramming.com/utils/artbrowser/Interface/ICONS.list

They are all 64x64 too. Cool.

That made no sense. A car is designed before it gets assembled.

I’m not talking about design, i’m talking about assembly. What’s the first thing you think they assemble when a car is being built? They don’t start by installing the radio and the seat warmers, they start by piecing together the parts that make the car function.

You’re over-analyzing the whole comparison. You don’t start a gamemode by making a fancy gui, you start by coding the important core gameplay aspects.

Are you literally going to tell me that a gameomde with a snazzy GUI and half-assed gameplay mechanics will be more fun than a gamemode with a less fancy GUI and well polished gameplay? I’m trying to get a functional beta version out so i can find out what gameplay parts need changing and which ones work. Who gives a shit if there’s a fancy VGUI panel if the entirety of the gameplay dynamics needs reworking? And for the record i never said i was going to leave the GUI in its current state, i said i’m focusing on the more important features FIRST.

Minecraft sold 1M copies, and graphics are shitty. gameplay, however, is amazing. sums up, in a nut shell, what twoski is saying.

Agile, Minecraft isn’t a graphical game same for Terraria. But still, those game are wonderfull because they are fun to play, but I definetly STILL think, a game need to be good looking, and same for gamemodes.